Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Washing machine overhead drainage

Hey guys. First post. I just purchased a home and have stumbled upon my newest dilemma which is in regards to the current set up they have for the washing machine drainage. I have attached some pictures. They left the washer and dryer behind when they sold the house to me. Their current set-up is simply a drainage line that exits the back of the washer loops around on the floor and extends vertically about 8 feet and dumps directly into the main drainage pipe. I have septic. Any thoughts? It looks inherently wrong to me. I have no experience regarding plumbling. But I just dont see this set-up as being very appropriate from the common sense stand point. Thanks for any thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails
Washing machine overhead drainage-img_1048.jpg   Washing machine overhead drainage-img_1049.jpg  

AndrewWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,164

I agree, it does look kind of strange. Can you post another pic where it dumps into main drain. Thanks.

The reason i ask is because if there is no trap, you will have sewer gas coming back into the living area.

jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

Sure. I'm at work and I'll snap a close up photo as soon as I get home. I keep reading about traps and "p" drains and standpipes and vents for gas's. And this set-up definitely doesn't have any of these as I see. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewWNY For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 06:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,280

Amazing!! Another house bought without a presale inspection. Also plumbed by I can glue pipe so I am a plumber. You have Black glued to White Bad sign.... Tee on it's side picking up something.

We can gut your house later..

You need to purchase the following.

A laundry tray
A Low profile drain sump
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/compact-...FYZAMgodsx0ArA

Install Laundry tray great for when we fix the rest of the plumbing.

Washer goes to Laundry tray

Laundry tub drains to bucket sump

Bucket sump gos to 4 inch all by itself.

You will also need
A 4 inch PVC thread by glue connector

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/1-2-pvc-...FbFaMgodwncAvQ

4 by 2 PVC Wye

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/genova-7...FfFFMgodPUwA7Q

2 by 1.5 inch bushing

A few 1.5 inch PVC fittings

1 sump check valve 1.5 inch

1.5 inch PVC pipe

4 inch PVC pipe

PVC Glue And PVC Primer

Now from the cute bucket sump y tie in the pvc to the pump it gos to the new 4 inch wye you just installed looking up in front of that used to be clean out.

The brass cleanout plug is removed the 4 inch threaded adaptor with dope and tape screws into it the wye glues into that
A 4 inch cleanout installed in the other side of the wye with a plug
Bush down the 2 inch of the wye to 1.5 inch
It runs to the sump with that nice new 1.5 inch sump check installed above the pump.

Just run the sump vent up to the joist and turn down with 2 90's

About 4 hours of work when you know how.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
jmon (03-26-2014), LateralConcepts (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Amazing!! Another house bought without a presale inspection. Also plumbed by I can glue pipe so I am a plumber. You have Black glued to White Bad sign.... Tee on it's side picking up something.

We can gut your house later..

You need to purchase the following.

A laundry tray
A Low profile drain sump
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/compact-...FYZAMgodsx0ArA

Install Laundry tray great for when we fix the rest of the plumbing.

Washer goes to Laundry tray

Laundry tub drains to bucket sump

Bucket sump gos to 4 inch all by itself.

You will also need
A 4 inch PVC thread by glue connector

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/1-2-pvc-...FbFaMgodwncAvQ

4 by 2 PVC Wye

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/genova-7...FfFFMgodPUwA7Q

2 by 1.5 inch bushing

A few 1.5 inch PVC fittings

1 sump check valve 1.5 inch

1.5 inch PVC pipe

4 inch PVC pipe

PVC Glue And PVC Primer

Now from the cute bucket sump y tie in the pvc to the pump it gos to the new 4 inch wye you just installed looking up in front of that used to be clean out.

The brass cleanout plug is removed the 4 inch threaded adaptor with dope and tape screws into it the wye glues into that
A 4 inch cleanout installed in the other side of the wye with a plug
Bush down the 2 inch of the wye to 1.5 inch
It runs to the sump with that nice new 1.5 inch sump check installed above the pump.

Just run the sump vent up to the joist and turn down with 2 90's

About 4 hours of work when you know how.
hey ghost..if iam a homeowner: laughing: great list ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Funny, I just wrote about this not long ago in my blog. Unfortunately that's a ridiculous setup (that if you had a home inspection, hopefully he/she noticed). Not only the fact that the washing machine is being used as a pump, but what's with all the straight TEE's? I bet if you pull that plug out of the main line cleanout, it's full of sludge! Also that cleanout cap has been replaced with an expandable plug. That indicates to me that some sort of sewer maintenance been done. Maybe once, maybe a hundred times. I'd suggest scoping the sewer as well. When the sewer backs up, the first place it will go is into your washing machine.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 604

Quote:
Come on Ghost how many home inspectors would go right pass that mess without realizing that it was all wrong. i be leave a soon to be home owner should hire an independent inspector for each area of inspection ie plumber for plumbing roofer for roof etc, may cost a lot more but you'll get the real deal that way.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
daluu (03-28-2014), LateralConcepts (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 PM   #8

Oh man. This is what I was afraid of. I did have a home inspection done. He didn't even mention it. I'm really dissapointed. So is the problem with the washing machine "grey" water return line only, or the whole darn pvc plumbing setup above it as well? I am moving in this weekend. I will buy that list you provided ghost. I appreciate everyones replies. Do you have a diagram I can follow in regards to the setup you described? I'm good with woodworking. I don't know the first thing about plumbing! Thanks a lot.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,300

I got this image off google- it's a starter for you. Just need to make some pipe adjustments to match your layout
Attached Images

ben's plumbing (03-27-2014), jmon (03-26-2014), LateralConcepts (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Come on Ghost how many home inspectors would go right pass that mess without realizing that it was all wrong. i be leave a soon to be home owner should hire an independent inspector for each area of inspection ie plumber for plumbing roofer for roof etc, may cost a lot more but you'll get the real deal that way.
Perhaps we need a few reputable plumbing companies advertising that service for a set fee????
Old 03-26-2014, 10:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWNY View Post
Oh man. This is what I was afraid of. I did have a home inspection done. He didn't even mention it. I'm really dissapointed. So is the problem with the washing machine "grey" water return line only, or the whole darn pvc plumbing setup above it as well? I am moving in this weekend. I will buy that list you provided ghost. I appreciate everyones replies. Do you have a diagram I can follow in regards to the setup you described? I'm good with woodworking. I don't know the first thing about plumbing! Thanks a lot.

I would look for a plumbing company that does new work and service. After you fix this we need more pictures of your house plumbing. Is there a disclosure at sale law in your state?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-27-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #12

I'm not impressed with so called home inspectors. All they seem to do is stuff money in there pocket and ignore obvious problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (03-27-2014)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #13
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
I'm not impressed with so called home inspectors. All they seem to do is stuff money in there pocket and ignore obvious problems.
Some are great! Some however, wouldn't wanna upset their "bread 'n butter" (Realtors).
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
I would look for a plumbing company that does new work and service. After you fix this we need more pictures of your house plumbing. Is there a disclosure at sale law in your state?
Well at least It appears I've come to the right place. I appreciate the advice here!
There is indeed a disclosure at sale law and nothing was flagged as being insufficient or in need to be addressed. I've located that pump and most of the supplies at a store near work. I'm going to run out on lunch. Do you think that this is something a DIY'er without plumbing experience can handle? I am a competent guy. But I lack any sort of previous plumbing experience. I'm more than happy to tackle it though if you think it's something that can be done by getting feedback and posting pictures along the way.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #15
FIDO...

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
Some are great! Some however, wouldn't wanna upset their "bread 'n butter" (Realtors).
Agree!

As with so many things in life, it's "Buyer beware..." unless you do some homework upfront yourself to make sure you are working with a reputable and knowledgable business. A good home inspector provides an awesome service, but (again, as with so many things) a bad one who rubber-stamps the work is a waste of time (at best!).

For most homeowners, a home inspection provides a great resource, but be proactive and research then hire your own, or at least independently check out the background/qualifications/etc of the dude the realtor wants to use.

I was very fortunate to have an awesome realtor who took great care of me throughout my first home purchase - he made sure we used a thorough home inspector, and that report provided me a helpful "road map" for prioritizing the various upgrade/fix projects.

Just my $0.02 in defense of those folks

Cheers, Chris

Chris130 is offline   Reply With Quote