Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Washing machine overflows laundry sink-venting problem?

I have a small handwashing-only size sink next to my washing machine. The sink drains into the standpipe, about a foot from the top.

Whenever the washing machine drains, the water backs up from the standpipe and goes into the sink, filling it and overflowing it if my wife or I aren't standing there to turn off the machine to let it drain. This repeats several times per load and we can't do laundry without sitting by the machine.

There is no vent in the roof above the laundry room and so I'm wondering if ventilation is the problem. We also thought about removing the handwashing sink and putting in a laundry tub, which we would like to anyway, but that seems like putting a band-aid on a broken bone.

Attached is a rough diagram of the laundry room setup. I don't know if there's anything behind the drywall or whats under the elevated floor. (Never smelled sewer gas from the standpipe and a snake is difficult to get through there,so I assume there is a trap under there.)

Any ideas are appreciated.
Attached Images

dublozrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublozrow View Post
I
Whenever the washing machine drains, the water backs up from the standpipe and goes into the sink, filling it and overflowing it if my wife or I aren't standing there to turn off the machine to let it drain.
Get a properly sized washing machine drain pipe (or a utility tub).

Quote:
Look for lint

LINK

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #3

The idiot that plumbed that mess should have been shot.

The sink should not be attached to a stand pipe.

A standpipe is an indirect connected pipe to a floor drain. Something tells me that you bought a un inspected flipped house.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 06-26-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

The washing machine standpipe should be vented.... and may be vented. Do you have any gurgling/burping when it is draining.?

Per TT... first thing I'd do is thouroughly snake the drain. Many machines now don't have a lint basket and discharge it. Lint is great for catching up in the drains.

If snaking doesn't fix it, we have found around my area alot of 1 1/2 drains on the WM .... and a overflowing stand pipe, even though properly vented.

One neighbor was putting in a downstairs bath, went ahead and cut the concrete and put in 2". Problem solved.

Other neighbors have put a choke on their washing machine hose, such that the machine just empties slower. $.75 cents and problem solved. (All we can figure is that newer machines empty faster, as the problem seems to occur more recently than in the 1980's.)

Others have gone with the low flow WMachines, expensive but solves the problem.

Others have put a rubber nipple on the washing machine hiose to standpipe.... but that is a possible siphoning issue.

Unfortuneately, putting in a laundry tub, in your case, might just force your overflow up through your standpipe.

Just some possible ideas

Good luck and Best

EDIT: Ghost is right, but thats not the cause/source of your problem, unless your sink is so much lower that normal backup in your standpipe would not overflow the top of your standpoint.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-26-2013 at 07:02 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The laundry room is not part of the original house which was built in 1945. The laundry room we think is 50s or 60s.

Snaking has done nothing. And there us evidence the standpipe has overflowed in the past (stains on wall next to it.

Theres not really any gurgling except in the sink when the water reaches it. I think I'll look into having a vent installed.
dublozrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
The laundry room is not part of the original house which was built in 1945. The laundry room we think is 50s or 60s.
You need a properly sized (2") drain pipe for a washer.
Or a big utility tub connected into a 1.5" pipe.

I suspect that your drain pipe is 1.25' (meant for the lav sink only).
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The laundry room is not part of the original house which was built in 1945. The laundry room we think is 50s or 60s.

Snaking has done nothing. And there us evidence the standpipe has overflowed in the past (stains on wall next to it.

Theres not really any gurgling except in the sink when the water reaches it. I think I'll look into having a vent installed.
Dublow...Please let us know if it is just a lack of vent.... very likely it might be.

It's just curiosity, but I've encountered undersize DWaste, bigger washing machines, (and lint) so much, that I'm interseted in your circumstance.

Thanks

peter
Old 06-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
DIY staff

Quote:
I have a small handwashing-only size sink next to my washing machine. The sink drains into the standpipe, about a foot from the top.

Whenever the washing machine drains, the water backs up from the standpipe and goes into the sink, filling it and overflowing it if my wife or I aren't standing there to turn off the machine to let it drain. This repeats several times per load and we can't do laundry without sitting by the machine.

There is no vent in the roof above the laundry room and so I'm wondering if ventilation is the problem. We also thought about removing the handwashing sink and putting in a laundry tub, which we would like to anyway, but that seems like putting a band-aid on a broken bone.

Attached is a rough diagram of the laundry room setup. I don't know if there's anything behind the drywall or whats under the elevated floor. (Never smelled sewer gas from the standpipe and a snake is difficult to get through there,so I assume there is a trap under there.)

Move this so I could read it without an add blocking the content---
Old 06-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
DIY staff

What size is the stand pipe and the drain that it enters? It should be 2" all the way---or larger--
Old 06-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

[QUOTE=oh'mike;1207773[U]]Move this so I could read it without an add blocking the content---[/[/U]QUOTE]

THANK YA SIR.....
oh'mike (06-26-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #11

I would suggest you post a picture. Depending on the picture I would open the floor and bring this excuse for plumbing up to your local code to prevent future problems.

Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote