Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Angry

Washing Machine Overflowing Suddenly After Working Fine For Months

Hey All,
Recently purchased a house a few months back and therefore purchased a washer and dryer. The washer has been working fine and draining great for the last couple months, but suddenly the drainage for the washer now overflows and spills all over the floor.

It's a 2 inch drain pipe and I haven't had any problems until now. I purchased a 25 foot long 1/4 inch diameter power operated drain snake and was able to thread the snake all the way and came back with no clog.

The water still drains, but just not fast enough. For instance, if I stop the washer during the draining process the water level goes down immediately. As soon as I let it start draining at the 'normal' washer emptying speed it immediately fills the drain pipe completely and then inevitably will overflow.

Any suggestions or help? I've done some serious searching online and can't find any ideas other than a different washer, installing an air admittance thing (but referred to as a band-aid for a larger issue), or switching to 2 inch pipe which I already have. Is it possible, although unlikely, that the actual vent is clogged??? It runs up into the attic and then from there runs parallel to the ceiling for about 20 feet and then straight up through the roof.

I cut out the drywall to take a look and get some pics. The water sounds like its draining really quick but for whatever reason, it suddenly has started this overflowing thing. What could have changed after working for so long that has it overflowing all the sudden??? Pics are attached below. Thanks for any help.

Seriously frustrated at this point.

Tony

Washing Machine Overflowing Suddenly After Working Fine For Months-sl730847.jpg

Washing Machine Overflowing Suddenly After Working Fine For Months-sl730848.jpg

Washing Machine Overflowing Suddenly After Working Fine For Months-sl730849.jpg

tonywolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

Yes it is possible that the vent is clogged. Or maybe the drain is clogged somewhere such as having some lint accumulated in the trap. Try the snake several times; sometimes it doesn't catch a partial blockage on the first try.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Owner

Quote:
I purchased a 25 foot long 1/4 inch diameter power operated drain snake and was able to thread the snake all the way and came back with no clog.
Is it possible you didn't make it far enough? How far does it go before tying into the main? Also 1/4" cable is probably not sufficient. 1/4" shouldn't be used for anything but a tub waste and overflow. I'd run a 3/8" cable and put bends (about 3" zig zags) in the cable up about 18". Make sure you're going far enough. Have someone else listen for it to reach the main.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Are you sure it didn't go up the vent? I think for a 2" line using a 1/4" cable there is a good possibility that the cable went up and not down.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Just in case the snake went up the vent instead of down the drain beyond the trap, give it a few more tries. The T pipe as shown is actually angled down a tad so the chances of having the snake go down are at least a little better than 50-50.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Owner

Or cut in a cleanout "T" in the stack where the picture says "only". That way you're sure to go the right way and much easier than trying to cable through the washer box

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LateralConcepts For This Useful Post:
Alan (08-02-2010)

Tags
washing machine drain