Washing Machine Installation In Basement - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Washing machine installation in basement

I am planning to put a washing machine in my basement. The basement is below grade and a pump will be needed to get the water to the existing drain pipes. I did some internet searches and all the recommended installations have a utiliity sink above the pump that washing machine pumps water into. We don't want this sink. Is there any way to do this without installing a utility sink above the pump?

Advertisement

MarkinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,050

You can get a sealed box that acts as a holding tank for sewage or the washing machine drainage until the level rises high enough inside and the built in pump kicks on.

But you would need a fairly large size for that unit. The washing machine hose end must fit loosely into the next piece of plumbing and if that next piece can't accept the water as fast as the machine delivers it (a vent pipe is needed), you will get an overflow flood.

The box would also have to have its pump turn on level adjusted low enough so that, if the water already in its holding tank was just below the turn on level and thus remained there, there is enough empty space in the tank for the entire next charge of water from the washing machine.

A laundry sink is usually more practical than the above.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-24-2012 at 02:34 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

A typical washing machine is capable of pumping the water vertically up to about 8 feet. Are you sure you need to go to all the trouble of adding a utility sink w/ejector?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Allan and Ishmael,

Many thanks for your inputs. They are thought provoking. I will see if I can find the pumping distance for our particular washer and reconsider a sink too.

Mark
MarkinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote