Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

washing machine hookup problem

my new washing machine was delivered and the installer said i needed a plumber to put in a main pipe for the washing machine to get connected to. i informed him i had a washer for the last 15 years with this hookup and was told the new washers have plastic hoses instead of the rubber ones. the plumber's estimate was $400. can't i get a washing machine with rubber hoses rather than plastic?

poppito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,024

I don't think the plastic versus rubber hose makes any difference.

Many modern washing machines output water so fast that a drain pipe less than 2 inches cannot take it and will overflow.

The end of the hose must fit loosely in the drain pipe and must not be spliced to be longer. Do not remove the hose and substitute another that is thinner. Otherwise you can overload internal components of the washing machine.

The current standard is for the washing machine drain to have its own trap and the end of the pipe must be at least 18 inches above the trap.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
I don't think the plastic versus rubber hose makes any difference.

Many modern washing machines output water so fast that a drain pipe less than 2 inches cannot take it and will overflow.

The end of the hose must fit loosely in the drain pipe and must not be spliced to be longer. Do not remove the hose and substitute another that is thinner. Otherwise you can overload internal components of the washing machine.

The current standard is for the washing machine drain to have its own trap and the end of the pipe must be at least 18 inches above the trap.
x2 on everything here.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

Angry

Hi Alan - thanks for replying. from what the deliver/installer person said i think it's the hose that connects to the drain pipe. it's too low and the new machine has a plastic hose for that connection rather than rubber. my old one ran a good 2 feet of rubber hose to the drain pipe. so i guess in reality, i really do need this new piping work done?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #5

You could put the washing machine hose into the existing drain and run a wash cycle with settings for a big load and see how well it works. (If the hose barely fits, you must upgrade the drain pipe.)

Can you describe to us your existing washing machine drain, giving dimensions including fatness?
Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #6

i'll try to get that when i get home. i'm leaning towards just having the plumber install new main pipe to drain and call it a day. thanks for your help.