Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

washing machine hook-ups

Our plumber put the washing machine water hook-ups in the wall on the left side of the washer instead of on the back wall BEHIND the washer because the back wall was not finished yet. Am I being too picky? I don't think the hoses should snake around to the side and possibly get kinked due to an off-balance washer or someone sliding the washer too far to the left....and cosmetically, I don't think it will look as good with the gap on the left side of the washer and that wall showing the hoses. Am I being silly and unreasonable? He already has it in and I don't want to upset him. I just prefer the hoses in the back of the washer. Help.

Donswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

washing machine hook-ups

Assuming that this is your home, you are paying the bill, and it is permitted, which does not seem to be a concern in this case, they can go wherever you want them. The clarity with which the scope of work was communicated, whether verbal or written, would seem to be a factor in determining whether or not you are responsible for the additional cost to relocate them.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

washing machine hook-ups

Thanks, not concerned about the cost of relocating. Just wondering if being on the side makes a difference in the life of the hoses in any way. I am not a plumber so I don't know whether it's right or wrong. It's a new build so just wondering if he was just being impatient about the back wall not being finished and not doing it right. Thanks again.
Donswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,020

washing machine hook-ups

The hoses are flexible, and I cannot see the longevity being adversely affected either way, so it's really a matter of aesthetics and your personal preference. Personally, I tend to agree with your assessment, and would probably have him relocate them; otherwise, it becomes one of those annoyances, every time that you go in there to do laundry, and doing laundry has the ability to do that all by itself.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #5

washing machine hook-ups

You should ask him why he put the hook ups where he did. He may have a good reason for it.

Example: I was on a job where I had to install the laundry hookups. I had two options of where to put it. The wall behind the machine, which was an outside wall, facing west towards our mountains, or the wall beside the machine, which was the other side of a closet. Where I'm at we get terrible weather coming from the west (and horribly cold winters in general) so we can't install our plumbing in an outside wall, unless we want to be back everytime it gets cold to repair split lines. So I put the laundry box on the side wall. It looked goofy, but it was my only option.

Maybe he ran into a situation like that. Mine was an upstairs laundry, but if yours is in a basement then there's no excuse for not putting it behind the machine.
isosceles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,024

washing machine hook-ups

If the hoses are not stretched tight then it doesn't matter if they criss cross in back.

A pipe mounted exposed on the inside surface of the wall is better protected from freezing compared with a pipe in the wall.

It is best that, for pipes in the wall, there be no insulation between the pipe and the inside wall surface. Either have the pipe press the insulation batt back (or slide the insulation batt behind the pipe), or cut a V shaped section out of the insulation batt as wide at the front as it is deep, to expose the entire length of the pipe to the inside.