Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Washing machine drain

I'm moving my washing machine up half a story to a newly built mudroom off of the gargage. My home is a split level so the next floor that the machine is moving to is only 5ft higher than the basement level that the washer is currently on. The washer drains into a utility sink (which it now sits next to) and I plan to keep that set up. I have managed to run PVC from the new room down to the utility sink maintaining at least a 1/4 inch drop per foot of length with only one section of vertical drop.
So the PVC runs about 7 ft at the proper slope (1/4inch per foot) drops 3 feet and then back to the gradual slope (1/4inch per foot) for the final 7 1/2 feet into the utility sink.
1. The start of the drain in the new room is at 40". Is that too high?
2. What set up should I use to attach the hose from the washing machine into the start of my pipe?
3. Should I vent the the start of the pipe?
4. Any problems with my run, used 1 1/2 inch pipe? I know I should have use 2" but it would have been tight.

Additional info: The last run to the utility sink passes over a secondary stack in our basement for a 1/2 bath on the next level up. That stack itself vents above the bathroom so I have access to the top of it in the basement, about 4 1/2 feet high. Just seemed easier to go the extra 4 feet and drain into utility sink than having to open the stack and put a p trap in since the sink already does that for me.

61971levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

Washing machine drain

The end of the drain hose that came with the washing machine must fit loosely into whatever you put it into. That connection must be at least as high off the floor that the water level inside the machine can ever get (rim of the rotating tub inside).

The 1-1/2 inch pipe is definitely too small and you stand a good chance of water squirting out of the end you put the drain hose into. You may not seal that joint. Now if it does work okay with your machine you can leave it that way.

Actually the 1-1/2 inch pipe is less likely to overfill and overflow if there is no trap in it which in turn is possible only if the pipe ends up in the sink instead of directly in any drain pipe or drain stack. It is also less likely to overflow if the end into which you put the drain hose is upright.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote