Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #1

Share |

Washer/Utility Sink -

Hey all,

Wife and i just purchased a home. Went and got ourselves a new washer and dryer. Previous owner had their dryer, washer and utility sink hooked up from left to right - I simply followed suit.

I unhooked and disposed of the sink because it was disgusting. Upon putting in our first load of laundry, when the washer drained for the first time, I got water backing like a geyser out of the sink drain pipe as well as the line out to the sewer (where the black pipe on the ground meets the base of the pvc standpipe).

Based on the attached picture - is there something blatantly incorrect that needs addressing? All pvc pipe shown is 1and 1/2". The standpipe itself is 20"long and reaches 44" off the ground. The horizontal piece is ~50" long. If there's' any other info that will help you help me - please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Washer/Utility Sink --2012-10-10_15-52-06_71.jpg  

Rwil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

Washer/Utility Sink -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwil85 View Post
Hey all,

Wife and i just purchased a home. Went and got ourselves a new washer and dryer. Previous owner had their dryer, washer and utility sink hooked up from left to right - I simply followed suit.

I unhooked and disposed of the sink because it was disgusting. Upon putting in our first load of laundry, when the washer drained for the first time, I got water backing like a geyser out of the sink drain pipe as well as the line out to the sewer (where the black pipe on the ground meets the base of the pvc standpipe).

Based on the attached picture - is there something blatantly incorrect that needs addressing? All pvc pipe shown is 1and 1/2". The standpipe itself is 20"long and reaches 44" off the ground. The horizontal piece is ~50" long. If there's' any other info that will help you help me - please let me know. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Possible plug below the "T".

sgip2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Washer/Utility Sink -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
Possible plug below the "T".
'plug' meaning debris, etc. stuck and killing water flow?

Try to snake it out?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Washer/Utility Sink -

Snake the pipes and cap the drain pipe from the old sink. Might as well cut if off at the T and cap it there.
pwgsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Washer/Utility Sink -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwil85 View Post
'plug' meaning debris, etc. stuck and killing water flow?

Try to snake it out?
Exactly. Normally, the water would flow down to the lowest point, which is down your drain, but it appears that something is preventing it from going down and instead flowing to the drain from the old sink since this is now the lowest point.

Make sense?

Yeah, try a snake.

Another thing you could try is put a section of pipe in the trap for the old sink that is higher than the washer drain. If the water then comes out of the washer drain tube, then you definately have a clog.

Last edited by sgip2000; 10-10-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #6

Washer/Utility Sink -

I agree 100% plus it sure looks like that old drain for the sink is running up hill to the tee. If you not going to replace the old sink cut that pipe near the tee and add a PVC cap.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Washer/Utility Sink -

The problem is that I'd like to install a new utiIity sink myself. Therefore, I wanted to know if that setup was alright to do that or not. The previous owner might've been alright with the washer drainage backing up into the sink and water leaking all over the floor from the black pipe - but, I'd like for things to work properly.

Sorry if I was not clear. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #8

Washer/Utility Sink -

I'm not seeing a vent for those drains.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #9

Washer/Utility Sink -

Additional info:

@joecaption - yes, the run to the sink off of the T was down pitched towards the sink - which makes nohhhhh sense. I propped it up a bit and still had the back flow issue.

@sgip2000 - never had a need for a snake before - do they have snakes that will make it down the standpipe and through that 's' turn? Also, it may not look like it - but, the sink drain is higher than the T when propped up...Should I still try adding a vertical section of pipe to the sink drain? (I do not know how high I can go if I want to put a sink in there.)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #10

Washer/Utility Sink -

cut the pipe off that went to the sink 4 inches from the tee. glue a cap on the piece left. washer drains need to be 2 inch nowadays. a large capacity washer will pump 1-1/2 full.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #11

Washer/Utility Sink -

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Good catch. I missed that.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:53 PM   #12

Washer/Utility Sink -

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
could someone explain what it means to 'vent' a drain or point me to a helpful resource? I've been reading like crazy and seen it all over - just not clicking for me, though. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
cut the pipe off that went to the sink 4 inches from the tee. glue a cap on the piece left. washer drains need to be 2 inch nowadays. a large capacity washer will pump 1-1/2 full.
do i have to? is there anyway for me to salvage this setup? (dryer/washer/sink from L to R)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #13

Washer/Utility Sink -

Adding a vent may not be all that difficult if you can t off the washer drain and run pipe out the upper wall to the outside and then up above the roof line.

Draining the washer into the sink could also be an option.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 PM   #14

Washer/Utility Sink -

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
Adding a vent may not be all that difficult if you can t off the washer drain and run pipe out the upper wall to the outside and then up above the roof line.

Draining the washer into the sink could also be an option.
using context clues here, don't bash me - haha..

is a 'vent' just a pipe that will allow a drain to backflow a little bit god forbid the water needs somewhere to go if something is preventing it all from draining at once?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #15

Washer/Utility Sink -

you have several things that are contributing to your problem
1. Should be 2" pipe as Danny said. probably not possible though
2. possible blockage below the tee- maybe in the slab.
3. No vent- google washing machine plumbing. Look at the images to see proper ways to plumb a washer.

Best approach IMO is to disconnect piping at floor level, cable the under floor drain and rebuild with a vent- attach a auto air vent, and a new p trap