Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Washer drain smells like eggs

I fixing up a mobile home for re-sale and everything is mostly fixed except for whenever I flush one specific toilet it makes the hall spell like rotten eggs. I can tell that it's coming from the wash machine pipes (however we could smell it before we put the washer in, so it's not the machine itself). But I don't think there's any clogs - at least there's no slow draining anywhere. I think the smell is coming from the vented cap on the pipes. The wash machine hose is connected to the pipe with a vented plastic piece. Is that how the smell is getting out? Is it possible to plug those up? Also when we first starting fixing the place up we notice that there was a pipe running of the washer drain pipe that went up the the ceiling... problem was that I would image it was suppose to go through the ceiling to the outside. However, it just ran to no where - stopped in between the ceiling and roof. So my husband thought it was useless and just capped it off at the base of the pipe. Now I'm wondering if that was the wrong thing to do. So I'm not sure if it's a matter of bad plumbing, gobbed up pipes, or anything else... So any suggestions on how to fix the stink would be great appreciated.
Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #2

does this washer drain have a 'trap' in it to prevent sewer gasses from coming back?? IF not put one in and if its not 'used' pour a little cooking oil in it,,water evaporates,oil does NOT. Somebody thought that pipe up to the ceiling was a vent so it drained. If you unsure of trap construction look under your sinks or tub/shower area.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #3

That pipe your husband capped off was probably the vent pipe. Drainage systems need air to operate properly. If there is no vent, the traps from other fixtures will have the water sucked out of them when other fixtures are used. The vent pipe should go out the roof since they contain sewer gas. This is also what you are probably smelling from the washer trap being sucked out.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
That pipe your husband capped off was probably the vent pipe. Drainage systems need air to operate properly. If there is no vent, the traps from other fixtures will have the water sucked out of them when other fixtures are used. The vent pipe should go out the roof since they contain sewer gas. This is also what you are probably smelling from the washer trap being sucked out.
So should I just cut a hole in my ceiling and roof and put a vented pipe through it? Is it as easy as that? It's winter and I'm in Wisconsin, so I probably can't do it til spring. Will it be safe until then? When you say it's "sucking" water from other fixtures, that concerns me that it could do some damage.
Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #5

Yes, you want to take the pipe out the roof. You can buy a roof flashing to slide over it and secure to the roof to prevent leaks. It will not cause "damage" but you will want to keep pouring water down the drain(s) after using fixtures such as the toilet to maintain water in the traps. This will keep sewer gas from entering the home. The washer drain and the one toilet may be the only fixtures serviced by this vent. I do not know what your Plumbing Codes are where you live, but you may be able to install an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) at the top of the existing pipe below the ceiling. Studor is one brand and you can check them out on their website. Lowes and HD sell them.

Last edited by majakdragon; 12-04-2008 at 05:24 PM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad smell pipes drain