Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Washer drain questions

New to the site, I really appreciate helpful forums like this one. I am working on a 100+ year old house that has had more hands on it than I wanna think about, So I may be able to help other ppl with my experiences, but for now..

I am working on a laundry room, updating the plumbing. After revealing the pipes I realized there is not an individual vent going above the washer fixture, which is located in a load bearing wall that I dont wand to start cutting at. The code here states a fixture/trap can un up to 5 feet to a vent for a pipe this size (2in id). But current trap is under the floor right before the main horizontal soil pipe. Is this acceptable or should the trap be in the wall then run the distance to a vent before the soil pipe. Either way should work without creating vacuum in the system I think. but I don't know whats "right". Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a little more info about the connection to the soil pipe. A single pipe runs fron the washer wall box to the sewer line (about 5 feet), the conection is made with a "T" into the sewer line, the trap directly into the "T" and out the top of the "T" a line runs to an existing vent line for the tub.

Last edited by gnikhpesoj; 02-20-2011 at 08:34 PM. Reason: wanted to add more details
gnikhpesoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

Washer drain questions

That is wrong---the trap can not be in the line like that---trap should be at the bottom of the vertical pipe--it will get flushed dry.

Post a picture if you can---Mike---

Old 02-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #3

Washer drain questions

Yeah lose the inline trap completely.

Have the washer box drain striaght down into a P-trap. Because you're around the maximum allowable distance from a vent, you may also consider placing an AAV valve (studor vent) just downstream of the new trap. This will ensure you don't have a lack of venting.
mfc133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #4

Washer drain questions

Thanks guys, Will do both and let you know how it goes.
gnikhpesoj is offline   Reply With Quote