Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Washer drain overflow

Hi and thanks in advance...

Just bought a new house and the washer drain overflows. I don't think it's an actual clog because a few minutes allows the "clog" to reset. More than a clog it seems that the pipe cannot handle the flow. My washer is at least 5 years old.

We have a septic system and that's a first for us so I'm unfamiliar with any issues that might cause problems. All other drains in the house seem to work fine.

It takes awhile for the drain to overflow, which leads me to believe that the clog (if there is one) is a ways down the drain - well past the p-trap.

The pvc for the washer drain is 2". It drops approximately 5' to the p-trap then travels 8-10' to a metal pipe that is probably 3-4". I used a 25' x 1/4" auger. the first time I returned a little hair and something that looked like carpet. Subsequent attempts returned nothing.

I read that pipes need air venting. I didn't see any (though I can't see all of the metal pipe from the opening in the crawl space).

Any thoughts?

Oh, I don't think it's that helpful, but I tried an experiment where I estimated the volume enclosed by the pipe up to the clog. My "calculations" indicated that the clog was 20' or so down. The auger definitely got that far, one time I got a full 25' out.

aviashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.
Rewards Points: 75

Washer drain overflow

i would check your septic, or if you have ground level clean out/two way c/o run your washer see if it's draining past the c/o.

wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

Washer drain overflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctekkk View Post
i would check your septic, or if you have ground level clean out/two way c/o run your washer see if it's draining past the c/o.
Possible slow septic--soap suds from the washer will tell you when you have a septic problem--
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 586

Washer drain overflow

While sounding simple, simply run a cable in to a line is just that, we go on calls every day at least one a day where a professional plumber has been out to a home and have been unable to clear a simple kitchen sink branch stoppage. There are techniques to clearing and cleaning lines, invest a couple hundred bucks and get a professional drain cleaning company out, just not Roto Rooter. While there have the plumber look at the pipe run and layout to make sure its vented correctly and up to code.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Javiles For This Useful Post:
jaydevries (07-08-2012), oh'mike (07-09-2012)