Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #1

Share |

Washer Drain Backing Out with debris-HELP!!!

Hi!
Problem:
Here's the quick scenario. We noticed this problem when it rained like crazy here in Northern California...First the kitchen sinks started filling up with water, when I turned on the disposal, water drained out from the washing machine drain. Couldn't figure it out that night, cleaned up the water, left kitchen sink filled up for the night ...got up in the morning....more water backed out from washer along with pebbles and a whole bunch of debris....yuck!!!! What a mess!

What we have done so far:
Used a snake through washing machine drain, used a snake through washing machine backout, used a snake in outside backout along with hosing the outside backout with water. Water still filling up in sink. Not sure if I'm using the correct terminolgy...when I say backout, I mean that thing that you screw on and off!

Info to help you help me:
We do not have a septic tank. We have a two story house. The laundry room is connected to the kitchen in the same area (same floor). I would say the distance between my kitchen sink and washing machine drain is about 9 feet or so.

Besides calling a professional plumber (trying to not spend too much money right now), please advise what we can do to eliminate this problem. It seems to me there is debris blocking the junction connecting to the city sewage line to the home line. Of course I'm not a professional, could be totally off...please help. I'm so tired of cleaning up the stinky water and debris!!!

CaliMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #2

You seem to be going about your problem correctly, but the snake is not long enough to get the clog. How long is it, what type?? You need a screw auger close to the size of the pipe, and obviouly, long enough to dig out the clog. Machine driven works MUCH better than a hand snake.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #3

course I have no idea looking from here, but if you're getting pebbles coming up into the sink, you may have a broken drain pipe, I'm not an engineer, maybe it wouldn't back up like that , but those pebbles came from some where, didn't clean out the fishies did you.