Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #1

Share |

Washer drain

Hi;
I would like to install a drain pipe for the washing machine, so it doesn't have to run into the washtub.
I have a vertical plastic pipe with a tee, into which a plug for cleanout is installed nearby, and thought I could remove the cleanout plug from the tee, and install my new pipe into it, leaving an easy disconnect so that the tee can still be used for cleanout of the line.
The pipe I am considering is the same one the washtub drains into now, so the pipe should handle the water volume from the washer.

What I need to know is what height does the opening of the washer drain have to be, where does the trap need to go, and is there any special fitting that I would use to install the washer hose into the new drain?

Thanks for your advice/help

FW
fw2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 AM   #2

Washer drain

Hmmm... nobody wants to touch this question?
Did I word it poorly?
All I want to do is install a pipe for the washer hose, and want some advice on details such as where to place the trap... should it be close to the washer, or close to the pipe into which this drain will run?

My logic tells me that the trap should be close to the sewer, so that the washer doesn't push the water completely out of the trap, causing sewer gas to escape.

FW
Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM   #3

Washer drain

I have seen clean-outs converted to drain hook-ups before. You really need a vent connected to the drain after the trap. This is what prevents the trap from being sucked out. As far as the line size, it should be at least 1-1/2". Newer codes are calling for 2" since the newer washers have more powerful pumps. Since you are now using a washtub to drain into, you cannot compare the pipe from it to a dedicated discharge pipe because the washtub is preventing a back-up problem. The top of the pipe where you insert the washer hose should be almost even with the top of the washer. This prevents the water in the machine from being drained while running. Minimum distance from the top of the pipe to the trap is 18" in most areas.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM   #4

Washer drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I have seen clean-outs converted to drain hook-ups before. You really need a vent connected to the drain after the trap. This is what prevents the trap from being sucked out. As far as the line size, it should be at least 1-1/2". Newer codes are calling for 2" since the newer washers have more powerful pumps. Since you are now using a washtub to drain into, you cannot compare the pipe from it to a dedicated discharge pipe because the washtub is preventing a back-up problem. The top of the pipe where you insert the washer hose should be almost even with the top of the washer. This prevents the water in the machine from being drained while running. Minimum distance from the top of the pipe to the trap is 18" in most areas.
Thanks for the reply;
There is a vent connected to this line. I forgot to mention it. The kitchen sink and dishwasher are also on the same line, but besides the washtub in the basement, nothing else.
Perhaps there is the possibility of having the line back up if the washer and the dw are releasing water at the same time.

The line is 2". I just went to look at it, and I realize that the cleanout is at about the same height as the washer, so the new pipe would have to angle upwards a bit, and wind up somewhat higher than the washer.

FW