Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

Share |

Warm water coming from cold faucets

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I started to notice that warm water is coming from the cold faucets. The water is initially cold then turns warn and, after maybe 20 seconds, is cold again. It is happening with all my faucets (I have 4). I was also able to get to happen with the shower. I have not done any plumbing changes that could explain why this is occurring.

I tried to close the water lines for all 4 faucets (I thought maybe there is a problem with one of my faucet that allows cold/hot water to mix) and then opened one and tried to see if the problem was still there. If yes, then I would close the lines again and move to the next faucet. So far, each is having the problem when the lines at the other faucets are closed (I did not close the water supply to the shower though)

I read that the problem my come from a bad shower cartridge. What can I do to validate if this is the case?

Is it possible that hot water is coming back in the dip tube of the cold water line in the water heater? When I shut off the cold water line to the water heater, the problem seem to disappear. (My water heater is pretty old).

Thanks.

Yves

ygillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #2
Water Treatment

Did you turn up the heat on the water heater?

If the water heater is over heating , then that hot water is going to expand and if needed back into the cold line that is feeding it.

It is possible that the rest of the cold water is coming off a line that is really close to that water heater supply ..

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ygillard View Post
A few weeks ago, I started to notice that warm water is coming from the cold faucets. The water is initially cold then turns warn and, after maybe 20 seconds, is cold again. It is happening with all my faucets (I have 4).
If you home is built on a concrete slab, are the affected faucets in back-to-back bathrooms and/or laundry room that are fed by the same trunk lines under the slab?

If so, it could be an under slab leak in the hot water line. A leak in a hot water trunk line under the slab permeates the ground and warms the adjacent cold water trunk line.

You can troubleshoot this by looking at your water meter. There should be a flow indicator needle that will spin like crazy when you open any water faucet. Turn all water faucets off and insure that there are no dripping faucets or toilet tanks leaking into the bowl. You could turn the valves off at the fixtures to be sure. Then note the position of the flow indicator needle over a period of half an hour. If the needle moves, than you have a water leak somewhere.

Your symptoms are exactly like mine were and it turned out to be a leak in the hot water line under the slab. In my case, the flow indicator needle moved about half a turn in 18 minutes, as I recall.

Good luck,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote