Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

warm/cold water mixing

I am only able to get about 10 minutes of hot water while taking a shower. The hot water heater has had the dipstick and thermostat replaced with little change. The last technician concluded that I have cold water mixing with the warm water through one of my faucets. The hot water heater is less than 2 years old. Unfortunately I was not home during his service call and don't quite remember everything he said to determine which faucet is the guilty one. Any suggestions?
rjf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM   #2

warm/cold water mixing

A few things to check.

Turn off the washing machine faucets. Hot and cold can commingle if there are defects in the washing machine internal water valves.

Be sure that other showers and bathtubs are turned off at their faucets and not just at the shower head or tub spout.

Your shower or your water heater may have an anti-scald unit that needs adjustment. (Above the water heater if located there.)

Is the water heater gas or electric?
Old 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

warm/cold water mixing

Thanks for the reply.

I have a gas water heater. I shut off every faucet that has shut off valves. This left two showers and a bathroom sink that do not have shut off valves. I turned the supply to the water heater off and was still getting cold water through both showers and the sink when all where turned on completely on hot water. All three fixtures are mixture types (single levers).

If it is an anti-scald can this be adjusted without tearing out tiles or drywall? I just installed a new shower this summer (aqua brass) that definitely has a lot of the bells and whistles.
rjf44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

warm/cold water mixing

Take the cover off the shower faucet assembly and then the anti-scald mechanism (if present) and perhaps some mini-shutoff valves will be seen.

Use these shutoffs to see which fixture is cross feeding cold water into the hot lines.

Alternate test. After the water heater cold feed is shut off, if you turn one fixture on full blast both hot and cold and then turn on another fixture hot only (try different two-fixture combinations), you may be able to better guess which fixture has the cross feed. I would expect that for a combination where the hot only fixture gives no flow means that the fixture with hot only is not the one at fault.