Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |

Want to Seal Sump Hole

I have a sump hole in the corner of my basement. The house is about 35 years old. We have been here 8 years and the sump hole has been dry maybe a week here and there, but for the most part it always has moisture in it. The 'Big O' (that's what someone said it was) runs thru the sump hole as well. Our Sump Pump has come on no more than 10-15 times since we have been here.

Here is a picture of what I mean:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~sumphole/sumphole.JPG

I want to seal the sump hole but have a few questions:

- can I cut the Big O that runs through the pit right at the floor edge? It would make it easier to get a submersible pump in there
- how far do I need to dig down?
- can/should I put a small concrete slab in the bottom for the sump pump to sit on so its level?

Thanks

Scrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Want to Seal Sump Hole

Is the corrugated pipe perforated, namely supposed to let water out into the hole? If so you may cut it off at each side wall letting water pour into the hole.

Ideall the hole should be deeper.The pump should turn on when less than half of the pipe (or the open ends after you cut away the exposed part of pipe) is submerged, and from the way it looks there is not much vertical distance between that level and the bottom of the hole as it stands now.

After you dig the hole deeper, you could put a piece of flagstone down for the pump to sit on.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #3
Experienced

Want to Seal Sump Hole

Agree with AlanJ about cutting the pipe off flush, before you do that I would go to one of the big box stores and buy a sump liner, dig out the hole and insert the liner, cut holes in the side of the liner to allow the piping to drain into it.

The purchase a submersible pump pipe it into the drain system, the liner comes with a bolt on cover, so now you have a covered sump.

Just a question, but are all your eavestrough drains run away from the house? It they are not, do that first and then watch and see if the sump dries up and stays dry.

Mark
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #4

Want to Seal Sump Hole

Thanks for the help.

With the sump pit being square I have yet to find a liner that is also square. My main concern is sealing off that entire hole and if I put a round pit liner in I'm still left with large gaps in each corner, which I don't want.

I'm honestly shocked that I cannot find a square sump pit liner and cover anywhere (box stores, Internet) as square sump pits are the norm in older homes, so I'm left with making my own.
Scrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Experienced

Want to Seal Sump Hole

Put a round one in and fill the corners with concrete, or form and pour your own out of concrete, much tougher than just filling the corners.

Mark