Want To Connect New ABS To Old Cast Iron - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

want to connect new ABS to old cast iron

My current washing machine setup:

as you can see it's pumping up pretty dang high.

i would like to move my washer over to where the main exits the foundation down low, seen here:

here's a pic of what i'm thinking of doing:

i see a few options: (as far as i can tell, this is all 4" piping)

1) try to remove the 90 from the bottom where have the "cut?" line, then either put on a fernco Y or T and stub out for the washing machine, while trying to leave the rest intact.

2) try to unscrew the cleanout, but risk damaging something i won't be able to repair. if i'm able to, could i simply screw in some sort of adapter to get me to a 90 where i can stub out for the washer hose?

3) similar to option 1 but essentially replace all the cast iron.

questions are: is it better to remove a coupling rather that just chop the pipe clean through?
in other words: if i'm left iwth a cast iron hub, how do i adapt ABS into that? would i use a fernco that goes over the hub, or a fitting that goes inside it and have to mess with packing oakum and stuff?

same question goes for cutting pipe.

basically, what is the easiest way here to add another port as low as possible and get me to be able to lower my washing machine discharge?

hoping i can pull this off in one day while my tenant is out.

thanks for any advice and tips.

Advertisement

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

want to connect new ABS to old cast iron

Yes, #1: Flexible fittings like these would be ideal for your situation:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexi...qwik-tees-ells

I wouldn't cut it at that lowest point, though - you have a vertical 12+" straight line just above there. That would be a good place to feed the line into. If something happens and things don't work out right then you can replace the cut-out section with two flex-pipe straight couplings.

However, if you're up for a redo of all your plumbing I'd do that - rework the entire system so things are more streamline and sensible.

You need your cleanout. You could relocate your cleanout if you like but I'd advise against that - it's in an ideal spot for outside clogs.

Advertisement