Wall Mount Toilet - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

wall mount toilet

after some sleuthing on my bathroom drain, I have come to the conclusion that the high water table in the area is causing my problem and am curious if a wall mount might solve the problem. It appears that during a heavy rain that the water level is filling up the drain line, giving the flushed water no where to go.
But now I can not find any info on wall mounts?? Any suggestions, websites??

I would like to mount the toilet on an existing interior 2X6 wall. Then immediately inside the wall install a 90 degree pvc elbow and run the drain line horizontally through the wall to the outside of the house, then a few feet and with a 90 degree elbow drop it down vertically into the top of the septic tank. I am aware I will have to vent it and have some pitch to it. I would like to use 3 or 4 inch PVC for this. the bigger the better.

Would the toilet flush properly with it going horizontally instead of dropping vertically?? I can not picture a 3 or 4 in PVC elbow having enough room to turn inside a 5 1/2" space. But heck I am not a plumber!! The wall is not a load bearing wall, so that should not be an issue. any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated. JIm

Advertisement

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

wall mount toilet

I am not a plumber or a plumbing inspector but if your water table is as high as you say it is after a heavy rain you have a serious issue that a wall mount toilet will not solve I believe. A septic tank is designed to accept your waste water by gravity feed normally and then releases it to your drain field (1 gal into tank = 1 gal out of tank) unless you are dealing with lift stations and dosing the field, which I am guessing you are not. Your drain field needs to be high enough so that a high water table will not effect its function.

I am afraid that this is not a very good answer form the standpoint of cost to cure.

Advertisement

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 266

wall mount toilet

My theory is currently when the toilet is flushed there is no place for the water to go. IF I put in a wall mount and ran the drain to the septic tank. According to the calculators I would gain about 3.5 gallons of room.

This is only a problem during rainy season when the water table is high and we get a very heavy rain. happened twice this winter. In talking with other people in the area, some have simply raised the bathroom floor. That is too easy I like to do everything the hard way.

I really don't know what I am doing so any input is appreciated.

JIm
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

wall mount toilet

Wall mount toilets have a carrier made of metal tubing installed in the wall. You "may" solve a small amount of the problem, but what about your tub/shower?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

wall mount toilet

if you have a septic tank and drain field then changing elevations wont make a difference. if you have an old style leach field it wont make a diff. check septic tank to see if it is full and needs pumping, not as expensive as new plumbing. is this a ground level bath in old house?is this a floor drain?

Last edited by tpolk; 11-10-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: new quest
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

wall mount toilet

If you are correct and the drain pipe for the toilet is getting full of ground water when you get heavy rains. The water leeching in the pipe should be draining through that pipe and into you septic tank. when you get that heavy rain does your tub or shower still drain ok?
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

wall mount toilet

The drain pipe is supposed to be sealed all the way to the septic tank so if rain water or ground water is getting in then you have a leak that needs to be fixed.

In turn, a high water table should not affect the waste water flow from the house to the septic tank.

Rain water, ground water, sump pump water, and gutter water are not supposed to be poured into the septic tank.

Normally wall mounted toilets are for style or for ease of cleaning underneath.

Check the instructions for the toilet for how long a near-horizontal run can be before the drain has to drop (vertically).
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

wall mount toilet

go to duravit.com or geberit.com
the wall mounted toilet for residential is fantastic. There are many features and benefits. you may pm for more information.
take care
jhamlin38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

wall mount toilet

Hey.
more info on wall mounted toilets.
the toilet is a true gravity flush/washdown type toilet. They do not rely on a siphonic action to complete the discharge.
The difference in a wall mtd toilet (wwc) is that the water spot in the bowl is smaller. Just enough to create a trap.
The diameter of the trapway is approx 3.5", way bigger than a kohler or toto 12" toilet at 1 3/4"-2 1/8".
The european code for wc's requires about 10-12 feet of carry in the drainline.
The important part of the installation is that the vertical discharge elbow (in the wall, that connects to the stack) MUST BE postitioned at or close to vertical 6 o'clock, or at a 60 degree angle, THEN carry the drain. It cannot just go straight out to the left or right.
I hope this helps.

Advertisement

jhamlin38 is offline   Reply With Quote