Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #1

Share |

wall hung toilets

I asked this question about a month ago and had one response that wall hung toilets should be avoided. They say they are hard to install. I am just having a hard time understanding why. If I fir out a wall and make sure it is dead nuts why would it be that difficult. They are in most every public restroom. Does anybody out there have any experience with wall hung toilets.

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

wall hung toilets

Go down to your plumbing supply house, ask for a wall hung carrier kit, hopefully it will give you the instructions for the rough-in on it. Let us know how it turns out.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #3

wall hung toilets

The problem is Seattle is the nearest place that I can find that carries them in stock and that is 4 hours from my house. I have been reading about how these toilets are starting to gain popularity in newer homes because they can be adjusted in height and they say they are more user friendly to the handicap and elderly. My in-laws had one in their old house and never had a problem. They ended up tearing it out because it was pink. Anyway I was just wondering about them.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #4

wall hung toilets

Quote:
Originally Posted by warnerww View Post
...I have been reading about how these toilets are starting to gain popularity in newer homes because they can be adjusted in height and they say they are more user friendly to the handicap and elderly...
If that's you're only reason for considering it, why not just go with any of the standard floor-outlet ADA-compliant models, that have a seat height of about 17 or 18 inches (as opposed to 15" or 16"). A wall-hung toilet can be set at whatever height you like when you rough-in the waste pipe, but it's not "adjustable" after construction is complete - (unless you tear the walls open again).
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:29 AM   #5

wall hung toilets

Height is not the only reason. I was considering lowering the toilet for my daughter. I also have been reading about how much easier it is to clean a bathroom with wall mount toilets. Also they are required by law in public restrooms for sanitary and handicap reasons so why not have one in the house. Anyway just looking for someone who has actually had experience with them. I will go conventional if I have to but I do like to be different when I can.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM   #6

wall hung toilets

Someone makes a "baby bowl" (I think Kohler). It's a child-sized fully functioning toilet that mounts on a standard floor flange. But, if you're determined to do a wall-hung toilet, do what Ron suggested - get the carrier for the rough-in. I'm sure you can order one on-line.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #7

wall hung toilets

I do not know if I am determined to do a wall mount. Just been thinking about it. I have not had a chance to talk with someone who has done it. I know plumbers tend to shy away from them and was just wondering why. I have done a few searches online and have run across some old threads that DIY guys have said they are not that bad to install. But I want to look before I leap. I will keep looking someone out their must have installed a few of these. Oh well. thanks for all the input I do appreciate it.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
remodeling pro

wall hung toilets

Quote:
I asked this question about a month ago and had one response that wall hung toilets should be avoided. They say they are hard to install. I am just having a hard time understanding why. If I fir out a wall and make sure it is dead nuts why would it be that difficult. They are in most every public restroom. Does anybody out there have any experience with wall hung toilets.
I previously lived in a house with two wall hung toilets, and they were a royal pain in the butt. they always leaked after a few months. Dismount them, install a new wax seal, several months later they were leaking again. Maybe the carrier brackets are much better, or they have come up with a better seal for them, but I'm still leary of them. I hear the easy cleaning theory touted for them whenever they are discussed, but lets be real here, how difficult is it to run a mop around the base of a standard toilet?
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #9

wall hung toilets

I hear you are not suppose to use wax seals for wall mount toilets. That is just what I read somewhere. Anyway thanks for the input. I do not know why I am thinking about wall hung I just got a bug up my. I have to jackhammer the floor for the tub so I could do it for the toilet I guess I just thought it would be kind of neat to have one.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
Journeyman Plumber

wall hung toilets

There is a special gasket used for wall hung toilets, that uses a special adhesive.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #11

wall hung toilets

Hi. I just this minute joined this forum because I am currently installing 2 Duravit Stark 3 wall hung toilet with the Grohe Rapid L carrier. I love the cleanability of the toilet. That is the ONLY reason for my choice. I have been cleaning up after people who sometimes cannot aim well: the elderly and small children. It takes a lot to clean around the base. I sometimes would need to do this 3 times a day. One of the toilets is going in a wet room (ADA) that will be able to be hosed down (will be using the Kerdi drain and waterproofing system). Yup, hosed down. With normal toilets and bad aim, there can leakage through the seat bolt holes which leaves the floor bolt covers messy. I am not a clean freak, but basic sanitation should not take up the time it currently does.

As to installation, we have also searched online for info and have not gathered a lot of information. The folks at VintageTub were kind enough to send me all of the install specs for the Cheviot wall hung (less expensive). The Grohe Rapid L install PDF was available online. (Try homeclick.com). The other is Geberit, but Grohe seemed to have more options on the flush actuator.

The Duravit I chose has a seat that has a thinner edge. It may not be adequate for some. The seat is not shown on the web sites and was a "surprise". For our 3rd (kids) bath we will go with the Cheviot for price and for a more comfortable seat for their little behinds. HOWEVER, the flush activator is set up in the wall, so check the height of the child's reach.

Finally, DO NOT be apologetic about wanting to do something different. In Europe they use these toilets all the time. And lets face it, Germans sure can engineer products well.

If you decide to go ahead with the tiolet, would you update this thread with your results? Thanks, Kerr
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 PM   #12

wall hung toilets

Kerr thanks for the support. I have been amazed at how many people are against ( or just do not like ) wall hungs. I actually have never even thought of them until about 2 months ago. Thanks for the info also. I am not going to start the project until the fall. The wife has me building a play house for the kid this summer. Then the remodel will start. It gives me plenty of time to think about it. Let me know how the install goes and take some pics if you can . I would love to see how they go in. A schematic is just not the same as seeing the real thing.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #13

wall hung toilets

I will update when I have some pics. We are in the process of bracing the 2x6 stud wall. I had read on another forum (?where I do not remember?) a plumber who declared that the toilets would sag due to flex of the 2x6 the frame was installed into. The plumber would only install in brick or cement walls. This was not reasonable to me, but we will use some metal bracing just the same, and perhaps double up the 2x6's. I had seen a great design (again, did not keep track of where I saw it) whereby the toilet was installed in a furniture grade (walnut?) plywood "tower" because the installer had to frame out to fit the carrier. The flush actuator was two (dual flush) buttons that protruded through the plywood. It was a beautiful. I need all tile, for clean-up reasons in the childrens bath and the wet room, and do not need a bump out either in those locations. But I think I will use that design for the master bath.

Does anyone have any thoughts about using plywood instead of gypsum under the tile for additional stability? We are considering this.

Thanks.
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #14

wall hung toilets

Kerr I always used the concrete board under my tile it comes in 3 by 5 sheets and 1/4 or 1/2 thick. I have seen people put tile to plywood on the floors In a few kitchens And it seemed to work. They did 2 layers of 3/4 plywood. I do not like the idea though especially it bathrooms when moisture could be a factor. Check out the concrete board then tape and seem it for added moisture protection

Warner
Old 05-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #15

wall hung toilets

Quote:
I have been amazed at how many people are against ( or just do not like ) wall hungs...
I don't think any of us are "against" wall-hungs or "don't like them". I was just trying to figure out exactly what you think you gain by using them. If you like the way they look, that's fine. But you keep talking about how they're "adjustable" and they absolutely are not. You mentioned how you'd like to set it lower for a child...that's fine. But when the child gets older, the only way you're going to "adjust" the height is to tear the wall open again and change the rough plumbing, that's all.