Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 266

Vitreous china toilet tank repair

I purchased a house with a newer Eljer toilet manufactured in 2005 that appears fine. However is has a crack in the back of the tank that runs about 5" down from the top and seeps water. I cannot seem to locate just the tank locally and trying to repair it seems interesting.

Can vitreous china be repaired?? My thought is to drain tank,dry, sand and clean area then use fiberglass material and resin on the inside. Will fiberglass stick to china???

As usual any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice and wisecracks greatly appreciated.

Jim

jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,036

I think it will work on the rough inside surface. Either fiberglass & resin patching or epoxy.

(Not on the glazed outside surface)

Old 09-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Since the crack is all the way through the tank, you may find that it can extend further in the future or totally let go. Not something I would like to find when I got home from work.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I suspect you are right on the crack letting go someday. I had a large amount of resin and cloth laying around so i redid an area about 5 times the size of the crack! If I had not had the material handy, I would not have attempted the repair, less headache to just replace it..

Anyway it seems to be a sucess the material bonded well to the inside of the tank and the leak stopped. So time will tell?

Right after repairing the tank the wife said the toilet would not flush. The hole on the flapper holding the chain broke. What do people do that do not know how to fix anything?

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to jjrbus For This Useful Post:
pushpa (04-17-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrbus View Post
Thanks for the responses. I suspect you are right on the crack letting go someday. I had a large amount of resin and cloth laying around so i redid an area about 5 times the size of the crack! If I had not had the material handy, I would not have attempted the repair, less headache to just replace it..

Anyway it seems to be a sucess the material bonded well to the inside of the tank and the leak stopped. So time will tell?

Right after repairing the tank the wife said the toilet would not flush. The hole on the flapper holding the chain broke. What do people do that do not know how to fix anything?

Jim
Hello Jim: What has time told? We have the same problem with our Eljer tank and are thinking to repair the crack using 3M marine adhesive sealant fast cure 5200. Any thoughts or comments? By the way, what did you use the cloth for? And what kind of cloth was it? Hope you or another mamber can help.
Pushpa
pushpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #6

Been so long I forgot about it! I checked and everything looks good. What kind of cloth? Its a fiberglass cloth like you would use for auto or boat repair and resin.
JIm 0311
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #7

Thanks. I'm encouraged. Please tell me what specific products I need to purchase with step by step instructions on how to repair this crack. I have never used resin or the auto/ boat repair cloth. I'm a complete novice, you might say, but willing to learn.
Pushpa
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

In my experience, a cracked tank should be replaced. When it eventually breaks, you'll have BIG problems. Look around for a compatable tank if you can't find an Elger.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #9

I used the fiberglass because that is what I had on hand. If I had 3M 5200 I would have used that. A fiberglass repair kit is about $15, plus the mess of doing the job. Money might be better spent on new toilet?

I have only used fiberglass a couple of times over the years. I would Google "Utube fiberglass repairs" and you will get to see many different people using fiberglass or head off to the library for a book. Much more informative than anything I could type.

I did the repair from inside the tank. Emptied the tank, let it dry, sanded the area by hand about 3 inch either side of the crack with 150 grit sand paper. Then cleaned with alcohol. I cut the cloth about 5 inch wide and about 2 inch longer than crack.

Mixed resin and hardener soaked cloth applied over crack and removed air bubbles. Let dry. Mixed more resin and hardener and brushed over repair area.

JIm 0311
Old 04-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #10

I missed 666 reply, if I could have found a matching tank. I would not have tried to repair this one. You can buy tanks separate and they may not be expensive. Try a Google search on tanks.
JIm 0311
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 278

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpa View Post
Thanks. I'm encouraged. Please tell me what specific products I need to purchase with step by step instructions on how to repair this crack. I have never used resin or the auto/ boat repair cloth. I'm a complete novice, you might say, but willing to learn.
Pushpa
Make sure you use eye protection. When using resin and hardner in it get in the eye you will go blind. Nothing you can do so use caution !!! Nothing to mixing the resin and harder use equal parts and mix real good. use the cloth for boat repair and auto repain. You can get small amount in a auto supply store. most likey get a repair kit also all that you need for the tank repair
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,036

If you use the cloth as opposed to just a bead of epoxy then the chance of the tank's splitting open further is greatly reduced.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by del schisler View Post
Make sure you use eye protection. When using resin and hardner in it get in the eye you will go blind. Nothing you can do so use caution !!! Nothing to mixing the resin and harder use equal parts and mix real good. use the cloth for boat repair and auto repain. You can get small amount in a auto supply store. most likey get a repair kit also all that you need for the tank repair
The resin came in a big can, the hardener in a small tube. So equal parts does not seem right?
JIm 0311
Old 04-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushpa View Post
Pushpa
Pushpa,

Realize that if the tank lets go when you're not at home or even worse, on a week long vacation, then your home will be flooded. The valve in the tank depends on water to lift a float to shut the valve off. No water = no shut off.

If you are determined to try to patch the repair, you can use silicone sealant and fiberglass cloth. Silicone will stick to the china much better than fiberglass resin. It remains flexible and will not become brittle like fiberglass resin. It's used to hold aquariums together. --- Dry the tank, sand down to the china, spread the silicone on the china around the crack, stick the fiberglass cloth over the crack, apply more silicone over the fiberglass cloth. Let it dry for at least 24 hours. --- Then hope it never lets go and floods your home.

A new toilet seems like cheap insurance to me, to prevent the huge losses that a flood can cause.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 04-18-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Homerepairguy For This Useful Post:
plumber666 (04-19-2011)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
In my experience, a cracked tank should be replaced. When it eventually breaks, you'll have BIG problems. Look around for a compatable tank if you can't find an Elger.
Thanks. I have tried very hard to find a tank compatible with my natural colored Eljer 1605 toilet but have not succeeded. Is it really true that no compatible tank exists?
Pushpa