Vitalized Water Products - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vitalized Water Products

Has anyone heard of this company VWP - Vitalized Water Products?

Their claims to lessen water hardness with their clamp on device seems way too good to be true, yet I can't find any info out there claiming that their product is either bogus or effective. Any help would be appreciated.

From what I've found out it won some sort of inventor medal in 1998, it's a Swedish company, formerly known as Nilemark, after the inventor of the device. However I have not found anything specifically on how the device operates. It looks like B.S. but thought I would ask in case anyone has any experience with it, if by chance it does what it says it does it would address the moderate hard water issues I have at my house without using a salt-based system.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Advertisement

Last edited by WaterQuestions; 10-12-2008 at 03:47 PM.
WaterQuestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Vitalized Water Products

Scam. All these "vitalized" water products just "vitalize" the people who get the money from the seemingly endless stream of ignorant people who send in money for this crap.

Here is a link to another of these "miracle" products that is being debunked. http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html#ZAN

Most of these sites disappear soon after they are discovered by the debunkers. Then they rename the product and make a new web site and start all over again.

I traced the IP and it is in Norway, has no contact person for the domain name and was probably set up with a proxy server.

Yea, I really want to do business with that company....NOT!!!!

His patent he refers to is nothing more than patenting the design. There is no claim of it doing anything except looking nice.

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 09:42 PM   #3
DIY'r

Vitalized Water Products

Woah. Absolutely agree with MG. The gall of their website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Website
The VWP Water Processorô ionizes the water
Sweet. Ions = Good!

Quote:
The VWP Water Processorô and patented design, does not use any power, chemicals or additives and there are no replacement parts or waste.
That's impossible on its face.

Quote:
all drainage water that has passed through the processor will be sent into nature in a cleaner form
Funny, my water came from nature originally.. I don't mind if it goes back there.

Quote:
In addition, your output and water usage will be greatly reduced.
ILLOGICAL!

Quote:
And the #1 reason this is pure BS... ...it's 2 pieces of metal! And that's all it is!
ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #4
DIY'r

Vitalized Water Products

One more thing..

I don't know what metal that "clamp" is made from, but it's not copper (probably aluminum). It looks like there's no insulation between the "clamp" and the copper pipe (I watched the installation video), so it will probably just rot the copper pipe.

It's called galvanic corrosion:

http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

This is worse than snake oil. More like snake arsenic.

PS - I'm attaching the image from inline my last post to this one.. As MG points out, their site probably won't be up for long.
Attached Images

Last edited by ScottR; 10-12-2008 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Attaching pic.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #5

Vitalized Water Products

Thanks guys, I figured it was a bunch of

The only other low-maintenance salt-free option out there seems to be carbon filtration systems like Lifesource, but I'm skeptical that carbon filtration will do much to alleviate hard water issues?
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
DIY'r

Vitalized Water Products

I was under the impression that carbon filters removed biological materials and larger particles. I don't think it would catch free Ca and Mg ions..

Since I'm not really sure, I can't call on Lifesource, but my first inkling is that it sounds like .

But unlike VWP's product, carbon filters are a perfectly valid thing to put on your water line...
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 PM   #7

Vitalized Water Products

Are there any descaling devices that would alleviate the buildup on our showers and fixtures? I don't really care if the water is technically "soft" as long as those issues are alleviated.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #8

Vitalized Water Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterQuestions View Post
Are there any descaling devices that would alleviate the buildup on our showers and fixtures? I don't really care if the water is technically "soft" as long as those issues are alleviated.
Like 80% of the US has hard water. You can get some water softener tanks that will reduce the excess calcium in the water.

You want to see some hard water? Come to my vacation home. It is so hard that it chips part of the concrete when I take a shower.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #9

Vitalized Water Products

Will an electronic descaler alleviate the hard water issues of making our fixtures and showers a mess?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:01 PM   #10

Vitalized Water Products

Quote:
Will an electronic descaler alleviate the hard water issues of making our fixtures and showers a mess?
There is no simple fix for hard water. It all costs money.

Water that has dissolved electrolytes in it is even harder to deal with.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 AM   #11

Vitalized Water Products

I understand that, but I'm just trying to determine whether any of the salt-free, low maintenance alternatives will have any impact on some of the hard water issues. I don't need a perfect solution, just alleviation of hard water buildup/staining so my fixtures don't get annihilated and my shower isn't a mess. Isn't that what descalers are supposed to do?
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 AM   #12

Vitalized Water Products

Quote:
I understand that, but I'm just trying to determine whether any of the salt-free, low maintenance alternatives will have any impact on some of the hard water issues. I don't need a perfect solution, just alleviation of hard water buildup/staining so my fixtures don't get annihilated and my shower isn't a mess. Isn't that what descalers are supposed to do?
I am by no means an expert on all the systems out there.

I can tell you that there is no cheap fix for this and if you find something cheap that just hooks to the pipes, uses some sort of electronic polarization, or doesn't really say what it does without a lot of technical stuff you don't under stand then it is probably a scam.

There are lots of these scams out there and almost all will be found on the web. If you are not sure type in scam on your searches like "scam Vitalized Water products". This will give you an idea if there are any direct scams involved in the product. But this is by no means a fool proof method to find the scams. It is just another avenue to rule out stuff that won't work.

My suggestion is to go to the County, or State and ask some questions. They will point you in the right direction. Or you could talk to your water bureau. If you are on a well then check with the lab that tests your water as they might know of companies that will deal with hard water.

I know how hard water will damage pipes and faucets as I have the same issue and have to replace my faucets every 5-6 years.

Sorry I can't tell you more.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:19 AM   #13

Vitalized Water Products

Understood, thank you for taking the time to answer. I could smell the BS on VWP, but my understanding is that some of these electronic descalers have been used in commercial applications for a number of years with success so that's why I brought it up. Also products like Lifesource, which judging by their testimonials and clean history with the Better Business Bureau, seem to be a legitimate enterprise, I just don't know that I believe that carbon filtration is going to really address hard water issues at all. I'd love to believe their website, but there seems to be so much misinformation on the web these days...
Old 10-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #14

Vitalized Water Products

Quote:
Understood, thank you for taking the time to answer. I could smell the BS on VWP, but my understanding is that some of these electronic descalers have been used in commercial applications for a number of years with success so that's why I brought it up. Also products like Lifesource, which judging by their testimonials and clean history with the Better Business Bureau, seem to be a legitimate enterprise, I just don't know that I believe that carbon filtration is going to really address hard water issues at all. I'd love to believe their website, but there seems to be so much misinformation on the web these days...

I can tell you that carbon filtration will NOT deal much with hard water. Carbon will deal with some stuff but not dissolved minerals.

To get softer water the water has to have the dissolved minerals removed chemically or through something like reverse osmosis or distillation. All are expensive to install and expensive to maintain relative to filtration.

I have a carbon filter at my vacation home and it does nothing to change the hardness or the pH of the water.

Here is a good like for what to look for. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_water Follow the links to the water softening pages and learn more. Here is a link to "magnet therapy" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

Last edited by Marvin Gardens; 10-16-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

Vitalized Water Products

There's on guy who gets on a lot of sites and comes off as an amazed customer. (google: frizzak water). The reason there are no reports is that NSF and QWA and other facitlities have no protocol for testing and evaluating something like that.

The brochure is full of testimonials and finding fault with other, more established water technologies.

I wouldn't trust on half the distance I could throw it.

Andy Christensen, CW-II

Advertisement

Andy CWS is offline   Reply With Quote