Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |

Vikrell Tub + Delta Faucet

Hi,

I am remodeling a bathroom. I bought and installed a Delta faucet with the universal mixer valve. I was considering a Vikrell Accord tub/shower. I watched on of the install videos and the tub wall locks at the corner and pivots into place. The body of the mixer valve protrudes beyond the wall. Is it possible to install the Vikrell wall without it hitting the mixer valve? Or do I have to remove the drywall from the back side of the wall and install the mixer valve after the tub wall is in place?

Thanks,

David

bb46970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #2

David what you are asking is possible, however not easily done alone. You can usually get the wall into place as long as the stub out for the tub spout is not in place. Have you set the tub already? If not I truly reccomend setting it in a bed of mortar mix, mixed to the consistency of Peanut Butter. If you have already set the tub, I guess it is too late.

Back to your wall question, sometimes I have found it easier to install the plumbing wall to the back wall before placing them into the tub. It is hard to impossible to do by yourself though, so without help I don't reccomend this at all.

You should have enough room to get the wall past the tub valve. Openning the back wall and reinstalling the valve from there is also an easier way but I am thinking you would like to not take steps backwards.

Work4living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #3

not knowing which valve you have, does the valve body or the cartridge extend out from the wall? seems like every delta valve i've seen has a cartridge that is very long, but the brass body was pretty short
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #4

In answer to both...

It is a universal Delta, valve body. It is used on many of their faucets and designed to allow you to replace the faucet without replacing the mixer valve.

It is the body itself, without the cartridge installed, that sticks-out past the wall. I screwed the mixer valve bracket to a piece of 1x, between the two studs, and is flat against the drywall that is away from the tub wall. The valve body is just designed to stick-out like that.

I have not bought the tub yet. I just went to Home Depot and looked at a floor model. It is all screwed together, so I can't be sure. It looks like I can install the tub wall without pivoting it into place, but setting it in, bottom first. If I drill the hole for the valve body a little bigger, "it looks" like I may be able to get the wall into place, with the mixer valve installed. Does that sound right to you guys?

Thanks,

David
Old 12-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #5

Yes, it is all correct. The Sterling Vikrell is in my opinion the best remodeler tub & shower system. I install them very regularly at least 2 a week. If you have room I reccomend the Ensemble series with the curved wall. the tub is wider and deeper by approx 2" which in my book is alot in depth and width.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #6

What about the pipe for the tub spout?
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Broox,

Good point forgot that part. I usually solder the stub out before the wall is in place. But you have to Understand how the wall goes together so as to cut the wall properly so the spout will still cover the plate. Another option in the case of the Delta valve is that you can place a shower 90 and secure it then use a nipple with the spout adapter for Delta. Their adapter is basically an adjustable adapter, you do not need an exact fit for the nipple Usually as long as the threads do not extend greater than 1-1/2" from the wall.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #8

Yeah, so you have a wing ear 90 in the wall and set the tub wall, then screw in your nipple. That would work well!!
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #9

The previous tub was 32". I was going to go with the 32" deep Accord. They do make one. Home Depot sells it over the Internet, but only carries the 30" in the stores. However, I will look at the Ensemble. I have lousy water and I was a bit concerned that the tile texture of the Ensemble would be a pain to clean. I really need a whole house water filter. Any thoughts on EasyWater?

No stub-outs. The mixer valve has MNPT threads. I used Sharkbite, FNPT-to-Push On fittings. I am not a plumber. So, it was a lot easier to not have to sweat joints. Besides, I don't have my uncle asbestos blanket and I didn't want to sweat the joints that close to the wall. I wrapped the valve body threads with thread tape. I have two, straight fittings to the shower and tub spouts. I have two, 90 degree fittings for the supply lines. I used PEX for the plumbing. I have two, 90 degree, drop foot, push on fittings for the tub and shower spouts. I plugged the two drop foots for the spouts. Everything is connected, pressurized, and not leaks. I am going to screw in a nipple for the tub spout. I plan to do that after I install the tub wall.

Work4living,
You said "Yes, it is all correct." Does that mean that set the wall into place around the valve body, from the front, without having to pivot it into place?

Thanks,

David
Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #10

Dave,

Sounds like you are totally on the right path. I agree on the tile wall I hate it and prefer the smooth wall set.

This link is the unit I like. Of course they have right hand drain also.

http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/bath...d=1139296891-0
Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #11

Dave I am not there. I can tell you I have always been able to install this unit with the valve in place. The tub spout is tricky it is easier to install the wall without the tub spout stub in place, which from what you have written you have out of the way. So I think you will have nothing to worry about.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #12

Thanks for all your help.

This is the 32" Accord that I was considering.
http://www.sterlingplumbing.com/bath...umber=71150110

Home Depot just had it on sale for $100 off. I think that I remember one thing that I liked about the Accord is that the corner shelves seemed more practical than the other models.

At least, now I know that it should work. Hopefully, Home Depot will have another sale.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #13

I installed the Accord shower in my basement bath .

Home Depot was a special order no sale price , Lowes was special order and a

sale price so check out Lowes also.

High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote