DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

very low shower head flow

7K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  rickard681 
#1 ·
Hi All-
I have a 4 year old, single handle tub/shower fixture that won't allow the shower head to flow with reasonable flow. This just happened a couple of days ago. The tub flow is fine. When diverted to the shower....it flows fine for a few seconds, then...thump...and the shower goes to MINIMUM flow. Turn it off and do it again....flow is OK for a few seconds then...thump (pipe thump) and the flow again goes to a fast trickle. Something in the valve is making a 'banging' noise and the flow to the shower almost stops. It does this in cold only too (valve position), so it probably isn't the anti-scald (although the reduced flow) . When the 'bang' and reduced flow occurs the tub does not have flow, so it isn't being diverted back to the tub. In fact, I can set the diverter (midway) so that the tub and shower both work and the shower pressure is fine. And with both running, the temperature is fine, hot or cold. It only does it when I divert MOST of the water to the shower head.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Rick

#2 ·
If you have copper pipes, possibly a loose piece of solder broken loose? try taking the showerhead off and running the water full force. If that doesn't work, you'll prolly have to disassemble the valve. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.