Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:52 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Very frequent sump pump

Hi All,

I live in the North East and have a lot of snow melting currently. We also received a lot of rain in the past week and my sump pump is on almost every minute. I have a backup, so I'm not worried about a catastrophe, but I am worried about the electric bill! I bought the house last year, so this is my first winter with it. My pump is setup to come on when the water is just at the top of the well liner (I think its clay). There is about 6 inches of concrete from the top of the liner to the floor itself. I was considering raising the switch on the pump so the water can get to about 3inches or so of the floor instead of 6. From what I can tell with some experimentation, the water slows down at about inch 5, and almost stops. I don't like that it is coming over the liner, but is there really anything wrong with that? Is this a good or a bad idea? Or should I just be happy that my basement doesn't have water in it?

Thanks,

Charlie

kazfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Very frequent sump pump

I would focus my efforts to the outside of my home by diverting as much water as possible. You may need to add a french drain.

kcremodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:04 PM   #3

Very frequent sump pump

Is there a good check valve in the line? Otherwise half the water that it's pumping out will drain back into the sump and the pump has to work that much more. If it's a "float switch" you can loosen the clamp and make the float a little longer, thereby raising the water level a bit higher. Making sure that the longer float doesn't get caught on anything when it shuts off. You can raise the pump by putting a couple of bricks under it. It's really kind of "search and destroy" mission.. Try a few things and see what works best for you. (Lived outside of Chicago and have dealt with your problem for MANY years.)
Johnboy555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:21 PM   #4

Very frequent sump pump

I would not recommend messing with the float. Instead, put a brick under the pump to raise the activation height.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #5

Very frequent sump pump

The sump pump should come on when the 4 inch or so drain pipes emptying into the pit just start to get covered.

If the drain pipes get submerged then the perimeter drain system (French drain) will stop functioning (cease desaturating the soil about the foundation).

The purposer of the well liner is to keep dirt from getting into the well (pit) and clogging the sump pump.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-15-2011 at 08:45 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote