Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 07:09 PM   #1

Share |

Venting Questions

I am doing the plumbing myself in the new house that i am building and i have a few venting questions.

I have a 3" "wet vent" running from the basement bathroom up. How many fixtures can i tap onto that vent with? I am wanting to do 3 toilets, 3 bathroom sinks, 2 tubs, and a kitchen sink. Is this ok?

1K2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Venting Questions

You say this is a wet vent. A wet vent is a horizontal line that is sized larger than needed so as to let air flow across the top of the water. This line sounds as if it is vertical. If it is and goes out through the roof then you can attatch as many as you want. I have installed all the fixtures into 1 common vent with no trouble. And the only thing you need is a vent thats 1/2 the building drain, such as 3" main = 1-1/2" vent, 4" main = 2" vent. Also even if waste is ran through the vertical lines all you have to do is install the vents as high up as you can and you'll be fine (Above the ceiling line)

Last edited by USP45; 12-29-2007 at 07:25 PM.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Master Plumber

Venting Questions

Quote:
You say this is a wet vent. A wet vent is a horizontal line that is sized larger than needed so as to let air flow across the top of the water.
I believe this describes a flat vent.

The drain portion of a pipe is where the water flows through a horizontal pipe and also down a vertical pipe. The vent portion of a pipe is for air flow. A wet vent is a portion of piping that has been run for at least two fixtures that are using the same vent and one fixture is higher than the other; the portion between where the two drains tie into the vent is the wet portion of the vent.

A 3" horizontal drain can accommodate no more than 2 toilets.

Vent each fixture and the 3" vertical drain should accommodate the total fixture units; but somewhere after the vertical drop (in the basement) the line will be horizontal again so run 4".

It has been a few years since I took my test and I never do rough work so someone who loves code books can let me know or
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #4
Master Plumber

Venting Questions

Here is a good picture some one provided on a previous thread.

jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #5

Venting Questions

the bad thing is code differs from state to state, and city to city.
the guys here really know their stuff
but there are big diffrences throught the country.
best bet. draw a pic of what you have and what you want to do then post it. so we all are on the same page of what you want to do.
in michigan 3 w/c`s on a 3" stack the code is Ipc
in az. no more than 4 w/c`s on a 3"vertical or horz
ranman469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #6
Journeyman Plumber

Venting Questions

UPC says you can't wet vent unless you increase the size of the vent one pipe size larger then the fixture it will serve. Wet venting allowed only on the same floor it serves.

Example, here, I run my shower drain pick up the vent for it using a drainage fitting, and I want to tie a lav sink into the vent, since the vent for a shower only needs to be 1-1/2" and the drain for a lav is min 1-1/4", for me to wet vent the shower I have to increase the vent that serves the shower to 2", then connect the sink into the 2" vent of the shower, then after I tie it in I can now decrease the vent above the sink tie in to 1-1/2"

So as you see as long as it's on the same floor and you increase the vent one size then the upper most fixture, wet venting is allowed.

Here a wet vent that is serving a bottom floor can not be used to serve the second floor.

Confused, yes it can get that way.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote