Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Share |

venting question

hi guys,

My friend has a finished attic space and wants to add a sink and possibly another fixture. If I am correct his first floor fixture vents would need be re-vented up and over to a point of at least 6" above the attic fixtures floor rim level, correct? Either that or run a separate vent line from one of the first floor fixtures up and through the roof and have the other first floor fixtures tie into that. I also mentioned having a separate waste/vent stack serving just the attic. Am I correct with what I told him?

Thanks.

markharmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #2

venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharmon View Post
hi guys,

My friend has a finished attic space and wants to add a sink and possibly another fixture. If I am correct his first floor fixture vents would need be re-vented up and over to a point of at least 6" above the attic fixtures floor rim level, correct? Either that or run a separate vent line from one of the first floor fixtures up and through the roof and have the other first floor fixtures tie into that. I also mentioned having a separate waste/vent stack serving just the attic. Am I correct with what I told him?

Thanks.
No need to alter existing vents. The new fixtures can vent separately or tie into the existing vent(in most cases) 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.
The new waste cannot tie into the existing vent stack. It must connect to a properly sized waste line.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

venting question

[QUOTE=TheEplumber;1176040]No need to alter existing vents. The new fixtures can vent separately or tie into the existing vent(in most cases) 6" above the flood rim of the fixture.
The new waste cannot tie into the existing vent stack. It must connect to a properly sized waste line.[/Q

But these new fixtures are in the attic. If the first floor fixture vents are not altered then wouldn't they be wet vented? When i said that he could add a new waste/vent stack. I meant it would run out the roof to the basement and tie into the main waste stack. Is this correct?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #4

venting question

Quote:
But these new fixtures are in the attic. If the first floor fixture vents are not altered then wouldn't they be wet vented? When i said that he could add a new waste/vent stack. I meant it would run out the roof to the basement and tie into the main waste stack. Is this correct?
Yes..
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Yes..
So, your sure I am correct with my statements? Just want to be sure.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

venting question

If your line goes from the basement drain line, up the wall, with proper fixture tie - ins, and either goes out the roof by itself, or ties into another vent (properly sized), then in a nutshell you have the basic idea. There is no need to do anything with the existing fixtures.
TheEplumber (05-09-2013)
Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #7

venting question

Quote:
So, your sure I am correct with my statements? Just want to be sure.
Well, your statements aren't real clear....so follow Allen's advice, which was the same as mine
Old 05-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #8

venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If your line goes from the basement drain line, up the wall, with proper fixture tie - ins, and either goes out the roof by itself, or ties into another vent (properly sized), then in a nutshell you have the basic idea. There is no need to do anything with the existing fixtures.
If I have two fixtures in the attic tied into main stack then now I would be wet venting the first floor fixtures, right? So, am I correct in saying that the attic fixtures need to have a separate vent out the roof or the first floor fixture vents need to be re-vented up and over the attic fixtures tied into the main vent stack 6" above the flood level of the attic fixtures or just a separate vent for the first floor above the flood level of the attic fixtures or just run it out the roof?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
Master Plumber

venting question

Upstairs fixtures need to be independent by way of the drains you can not connect any fixture to the pipe that vents the bottom bath then re- vent, and consider it a wet vent ,the term wet vent is not what your thinking. so the answer to your question is no.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #10

venting question

Quote:
If I have two fixtures in the attic tied into main stack then now I would be wet venting the first floor fixtures, right?only if you tied into the vent stack So, am I correct in saying that the attic fixtures need to have a separate vent out the roof or the first floor fixture vents need to be re-vented up and over the attic fixtures tied into the main vent stack 6" above the flood level of the attic fixtures or just a separate vent for the first floor above the flood level of the attic fixtures or just run it out the roof?If you wanted to- each fixture can be vented through the roof independently
It's quite simple- tie the new waste line into the properly sized existing waste line- vent the new fixtures thru the roof or connect to the existing vent.
See bold text in the quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #11

venting question

Quote:
It's quite simple- tie the new waste line into the properly sized existing waste line- vent the new fixtures thru the roof or connect to the existing vent.
See bold text in the quote
Ok, so your saying its ok then to wet vent the first floor fixtures? Because by tie into the existing waste line that is what would happen.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #12

venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Upstairs fixtures need to be independent by way of the drains you can not connect any fixture to the pipe that vents the bottom bath then re- vent, and consider it a wet vent ,the term wet vent is not what your thinking. so the answer to your question is no.
Ya that is what I said. I said you can't run the attic drains into the pipe that serves as a vent for the first floor fixtures. That is wet venting. Ok, so independent by the way of drains meaning? Having there own waste/vent stack?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #13

venting question

Quote:
Ok, so your saying its ok then to wet vent the first floor fixtures? Because by tie into the existing waste line that is what would happen.
Perhaps you need to study plumbing code for a bit- particularly venting.
Better yet, show us a picture of what you're proposing
Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #14

venting question

Quote:
Perhaps you need to study plumbing code for a bit- particularly venting.
Better yet, show us a picture of what you're proposing
What about what I said was incorrect? I am familiar with venting and would love to know what statement I made that was totally incorrect?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:55 AM   #15
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

venting question

Quote:
If I have two fixtures in the attic tied into main stack then now I would be wet venting the first floor fixtures, right? So, am I correct in saying that the attic fixtures need to have a separate vent out the roof or the first floor fixture vents need to be re-vented up and over the attic fixtures tied into the main vent stack 6" above the flood level of the attic fixtures or just a separate vent for the first floor above the flood level of the attic fixtures or just run it out the roof?
Wet venting has nothing to do with them having a separate vent. If you are tying the waste from the attic into the vent from the lower floor, then you are in essence wet venting, which is illegal to do from a floor above. You need a new waste line from the basement or under the house.

MTN REMODEL LLC (05-10-2013)