Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Share |

Venting question

For 2 story homes is it more customary to have a secondary vent through the roof to serve as a vent for just the 2nd story or more common to have your 1st floor fixtures re-vented and tie into the main stack like in the attic? Just curious as to which is more common these days.

miguel24932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Venting question

All depends on the locations of the fixtures.
If there close they may have just used a 4" vent.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
All depends on the locations of the fixtures.
If there close they may have just used a 4" vent.
What do you mean locations? I know that the main stack needs to be within 5 feet of the trap or it needs its own vent but my question is for 1st story and 2nd story fixtures. I know you can wet vent fixtures that are on the same floor only so you obviously can't use the 2nd story drain as a vent for 1st floor so either the 1st floor fixtures need to be re-vented or a secondary vent through the roof. All I am asking is which is usually done?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #4

Venting question

If the fixtures are stacked then revent. Or separate if its not practical. You are asking a question that has no definite answer.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

Venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
If the fixtures are stacked then revent. Or separate if its not practical. You are asking a question that has no definite answer.
Sorry,

Just trying to learn some things. When you say if the fixtures are stacked what do you mean by that exactly? Do you have an email maybe we can communicate via email?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #6

Venting question

stacked is upper floor fixtures above lower floor fixtures- such as bathrooms
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

Venting question

Quote:
stacked is upper floor fixtures above lower floor fixtures- such as bathrooms
And for like a kitchen sink that is too far from the stack do you normally run a vent pipe through the roof or just tie into the main stack at a higher level? Another quick question. Lets say I wanted to add a basement shower. Plumbing would run underground obviously but what is the proper way to vent that? Would I have to run a WYE off the line and run it all the way up 6 inches above the highest fixture before tying in or can I just use the main stack in the basement?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel24932 View Post
And for like a kitchen sink that is too far from the stack do you normally run a vent pipe through the roof or just tie into the main stack at a higher level? Another quick question. Lets say I wanted to add a basement shower. Plumbing would run underground obviously but what is the proper way to vent that? Would I have to run a WYE off the line and run it all the way up 6 inches above the highest fixture before tying in or can I just use the main stack in the basement?
From a contractors point of view, you want to vent the most economical way possible- either straight out the roof or revent to a common vent and there are limits to how far you can run a horizontal vent- varies by vent size. So running a kitchen vent back to the middle of a house makes little sense.

For the shower vent as you describe, tie it in 6" above the highest fixture served on that floor
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #9

Venting question

Quote:
From a contractors point of view, you want to vent the most economical way possible- either straight out the roof or revent to a common vent and there are limits to how far you can run a horizontal vent- varies by vent size. So running a kitchen vent back to the middle of a house makes little sense.

For the shower vent as you describe, tie it in 6" above the highest fixture served on that floor
This is a basement shower so if I tied into the stack 6" above the highest fixtures on that floor then wouldn't the first floor be wet venting it? When you say common vent do you mean another vent from another fixture and tie into that?
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #10

Venting question

Quote:

This is a basement shower so if I tied into the stack 6" above the highest fixtures on that floor then wouldn't the first floor be wet venting it? When you say common vent do you mean another vent from another fixture and tie into that?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #11

Venting question

Quote:

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Always learning...

Venting question

Hey pal, just because no one replied to your last post doesn't mean you post it two more times. If you have no patience for the people here offering their help then odds are they'll have none for you.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #13

Venting question

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel24932 View Post
In the basement you should have a waste stack serving 1st floor fixtures and a vent stack venting the basement fixtures- that is a common vent- it serves 2 or more fixtures.
Tie into the common vent or make one if you don't have any plumbing there yet.
Do not vent into a waste stack- vent stacks only
Old 03-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #14

Venting question

Quote:
In the basement you should have a waste stack serving 1st floor fixtures and a vent stack venting the basement fixtures- that is a common vent- it serves 2 or more fixtures.
Yes the basement waste stack is there but i have a toilet and laundry tub that tie into the main drain but both don't have a separate vent stack. Now the first floor fixtures drain into what is the vent for these 2 basement fixtures. Is that normal? This is an older house with one cast iron stack. There is no separate stack vent.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #15

Venting question

Quote:
Where I get confused is that I know you can wet vent fixtures that are on the same floor but lets say I added a shower in the basement wouldn't I have to extend the vent pipe up and over the first floor fixtures and tie into the stack to avoid the wet venting?