Venting Power Vent Water Heater - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Venting power vent water heater

I was wondering if anyone had experience with running the PVC pipe for a power vented water heater? Currently I have an electric water heater and I will be doing some first floor renovations to expose the studs in a wall directly above the water heater. I will be replacing the electric water with a natural gas unit. I want to know if I can run the PVC vent pipe inside the wall and have it stub into my attached garage rafters and through the roof?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

RFW

Advertisement

RFWWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,614

Venting for these units specified in their installation/owners manuals. u can find PDF files at their websites. They all have different specs.

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFWWorker View Post
I was wondering if anyone had experience with running the PVC pipe for a power vented water heater? Currently I have an electric water heater and I will be doing some first floor renovations to expose the studs in a wall directly above the water heater. I will be replacing the electric water with a natural gas unit. I want to know if I can run the PVC vent pipe inside the wall and have it stub into my attached garage rafters and through the roof?

Thanks!

RFW
To be specific NO

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
To be specific NO
I'm assuming you're saying "no" to the part where I run the PVC pipe inside the wall. Is there a reason that you can share with me? Will the pipe get too hot even though it is power vented? The water heater would be a high efficient type. The manufacturer manual doesn't say you can or cannot run the pipe inside a wall. It does say it can be ran through a wall and through a roof.

Thanks.

RFW
Old 02-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 712

Quote:
I'm assuming you're saying "no" to the part where I run the PVC pipe inside the wall. Is there a reason that you can share with me? Will the pipe get too hot even though it is power vented? The water heater would be a high efficient type. The manufacturer manual doesn't say you can or cannot run the pipe inside a wall. It does say it can be ran through a wall and through a roof.

Thanks.

RFW
Anywhere there is a potential fire hazard you can not have PVC its petroleum based and even if it did not burn through if it got hot enough it would emit toxic fumes. that why in certain buildings you can not use pvc for water or drainage must be in good ole cast iron and copper. national fire code. they make specific pipe for what you want to do.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net

Last edited by Javiles; 02-08-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Quote:

Thanks!

RFW
I'd say you're penetrating a fire wall- thats a no-no without an approved method
Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
Anywhere there is a potential fire hazard you can not have PVC its petroleum based and even if it did not burn through if it got hot enough it would emit toxic fumes. that why in certain buildings you can not use pvc for water or drainage must be in good ole cast iron and copper. national fire code. they make specific pipe for what you want to do.
Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this. I'm still a little confused about what you're saying. Are you saying that using PVC is the issue here, or penetrating a fire-wall with PVC is the issue? If the latter is the concern, you're saying I could run the vent pipe inside the wall but not with PVC. Only with an approved type of pipe?

I'd like to add that I have a sewer vent stack going into my garage and through the garage roof. I was planning on running the water heater vent the same way. This vent wall installed when the house was initially built back in 1975.

Thanks,

RFW

Last edited by RFWWorker; 02-12-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Contact the manufacturers rep. On a proper install you are limited on length and fittings
Old 02-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Contact the manufacturers rep. On a proper install you are limited on length and fittings
I do understand the length and fitting restrictions. I was just concerned about the vent pipe with exhaust being inside a wall for an 8 foot run, then you guys brought up the issue with penetrating a fire-wall that I didn't think of. I admit this is an unusual circumstance. I will contact the manufacturer to see what they say and report back what I find out.

Thanks.

RFW

Advertisement