Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Venting a gas water heater

I am remodeling my kitchen through which the old chimney runs. The chimney is in bad shape and our plans are to abandon/remove it. The furnace is being replaced with an efficient model thet vents through the side wall of the house. That leaves no flue for the water heater. Can I move the water heater near the outside wall of the basement and vent it out throgh the wall? Does the flue have to extend above the roof line to induce an updraft? What about an in-line power vent in the flue?

Thanks,
B

renovation07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,108

Oops,.... didn't see your title......

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Oldguy

Rewards Points: 250

Most codes will require your vent 2 to 3 feet above roofline I doubt you will need a powervent.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

My home's gas water heater is vented through the outside wall. It's got a 2" ABS (black plastic pipe) connected to its top side fan. And to ensure negative pressure is reduced within our basement's utility room, an intake "free air flow" 2" ABS (black plastic pipe) is beside its intake pipe. Both ABS pipes are going through the outside house wall. For your specific gas hot water system, what does its selling company recommend? What does its install instructions recommend?

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

I have a standard "naturally" vented gas water heater. It has a 3" tin flue that connects to the chimney. It has no fan.

B
renovation07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

You can not use that water heater without a proper chimney. You have two options.
1. Use an indirect water heater like a phase 3. This works off your boiler by having a tank within a tank. The inner tank is full of potable water, the outer is full of boiler water which heats the potable water. The benefit of this is they make a heck of a lot of hot water.
2. Use a power vented water heater. This can go through the side of your house like the boiler does.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 09:15 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
You can not use that water heater without a proper chimney. You have two options.
1. Use an indirect water heater like a phase 3. This works off your boiler by having a tank within a tank. The inner tank is full of potable water, the outer is full of boiler water which heats the potable water. The benefit of this is they make a heck of a lot of hot water.
2. Use a power vented water heater. This can go through the side of your house like the boiler does.
MMMM.... Sounds like you are describing the traditonal "vertical flue" systems within: http://www.ketteringoh.org/newweb/pd...eater_info.pdf

As stated above, my home's Gas water heater uses 2" ABS pipe and it does go through the outer house wall. Unknown to some, the two types of venting systems for water heaters are:
  • Conventional venting uses a vertical passageway to convey flue gases from your water heater to the outside atmosphere — usually through a chimney or existing vent.
  • Horizontal venting feeds directly from the water heater through the wall and allows more flexibility in installation.

To view the gas heater at my house, surf: http://waterheating.rheem.com/conten...cedDraftFS.pdf

------------

As a suggestion, contact your local gas providor and ask them what specific models of hot water tanks use "horizontal venting" systems in your area. Perhaps you can trade your existing vertical flue system for a horizontal exhaust model (like at my house)....

Just like the horizontal pipes on our gas furnace, no fuss / no muss with horizontal gas water heater piping....

Hope this helps as well...

Last edited by Spike99; 01-02-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Marlin

The water heats at that link are power vented.

Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote