Vent Suggestions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Vent Suggestions

Now that I have the floor down for the 2nd story of my addition...I'm starting to plan out my upstairs plumbing.

Hopefully you can get enough information from this pic.

This is a pic of what will eventually be the upstairs thrown. Right below it will be a shower...and just 3' way another toilet. The red arrow pointing to something under the existing roof is actually pointing to the vent stack for the existing (and only) toilet in the house.

Since there will be a window a couple of feet from this vent...it can't come out the roof at this location....

The block of wood with the word "Toilet" on it is where my thrown will be....the area behind the toilet is a cavity that I'm going to build so that I can get HVAC ducts and vent pipes up.

First question...I have 3 toilets that need to be vented....all 3 of them are within about 5' of each other....at least the vent pipes would be...
Do I plumb all these together and run just one vent up? Or should I have 3 seperate vents?

Next question...about 6' from the existing toilet vent is the vent for the shower....(under the roof, you can't see it). I can't leave it running through the roof where it 'was'...the new roof line was right where the pipe was....and it put it about 5' from the upstairs bathroom window. Should I plumb it over to the side and find another spot to bring it out of the roof or should I plumb it over into my 'cavity' and tie it in to the existing vents or give it its own penitration?

One broad question...per my county code plumbing example...it looks like I could tie ALL of my vents into one vent as long as I observe proper slopes and connection points....but what do you guys really feel is best?

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,166

Vent Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post

First question...I have 3 toilets that need to be vented....all 3 of them are within about 5' of each other....at least the vent pipes would be...
Do I plumb all these together and run just one vent up? Or should I have 3 seperate vents?
By posting 1 photo and not knowing how your wall stud cavities are positioned and about 30 other framing variables, this project may be beyond the scope of a DIY discussion board.

I wish you luck in your quest for the answers.

Advertisement

hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Plumber/Contractor

Vent Suggestions

There is nothing in the code that says vents cannot exit separately, but if all the vents are near your chase, I'd tie them together as convenient using 4" . Just watch your locations in regards to windows and air intakes
Old 03-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,848

Vent Suggestions

Are loop vents code?

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
JOATMON

Vent Suggestions

Here is a broader view.

The new wall is the second story...it butts up against the roof of the existing house...the openings (dark area) at the base of the wall goes into the existing attic. The existing bathroom is on the other side of this wall. The tape measure is where the new upstairs throne will be....and right below that will be the new downstairs bathroom....so there will be one 3" vent coming up from there...along with the 3" vent for the upstairs...and then the 3" vent for the toilet just a couple feet on the other side of the wall.

Here is a marked up dwg of my 2nd story floor plan....black circles represent toilet vents before I do any routing....

Because the part of the roof where one or more vents will be coming up is not really visible...I'm not overly concerned about having more than one....but, any penitration is a potential leak...so the less the better.

Based on what you guys have said so far, I'm pretty sure I will take the vent from the existing bath tub/shower, pipe it over to the existing toilet vent and then run that vent out the second story roof...3"....

Based on what your also telling me...I could maybe take the 2 3" vents from the new toilets, tie them into a 4" and run that up as a second vent....

Or....tie the existing 3" into the 4" and have only one vent.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 03-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
JOATMON

Vent Suggestions

Working on the house more yesterday....as I look at all the stuff that I need to bring to the roof (as in a bathroom vent fan), I'm thinking of putting all these vents in one area....all in a line....but....I am also realizing that with the flashing over the vent, it limits me to how close I can get the vents to each other.

Because this will be in a spot to too visible....would it be practical to make a curb around all the vents and then trimp the flashings so they sit on the curb?

Advertisement