Vent Routing / Alternatives? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Vent Routing / Alternatives?

Just a quick question for you guys. Are there alternatives to venting to the roof, or to the main stack above highest rim level. I have a bathroom on the main floor that was never vented (must have been common back then). Venting correctly would mean alot of work routing the vent to the stack, not to mention my home has no attic access (1.5 storey 1940 construction). I don't want to use an AAV. Can I tie into the stack midway or does it have to be above all other rim levels? Can I vent through the side of the home?

Finally, what is the proper way to vent a toilet? An explanation or schematic would be helpful.

I'm in Canada if that helps, but I encourage advice from all.

Advertisement

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,222

It all depends on the applicable code where you live. The two most common, IRC and UPC, approach venting in very different ways. For example, under IRC (where I live) toilets don't have to be vented at all, while under UPC they do. One code prohibits AAVs (I think), while the other allows them.

Why are you opposed to using an AAV? I think they get a bad rap. I've had at least one in several of my houses and never had a problem with any of them.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
It all depends on the applicable code where you live. The two most common, IRC and UPC, approach venting in very different ways. For example, under IRC (where I live) toilets don't have to be vented at all, while under UPC they do. One code prohibits AAVs (I think), while the other allows them.

Why are you opposed to using an AAV? I think they get a bad rap. I've had at least one in several of my houses and never had a problem with any of them.
I've heard they need to be accessible and I don't want to put a mystery door in a wall.

If I do use one, do I just need to worry about sizing it accordingly and make sure it gets installed above highest rim level? If so, does it need to be above highest rim for the entire home, or just the bathroom is serves?

I've heard about them failing and the fact they don't provide for positive venting (like the initial flush of the toilet that pushes the air ahead, although I assume this is less of an issue).

Thanks for the response.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
Just a quick question for you guys. Are there alternatives to venting to the roof, or to the main stack above highest rim level. I have a bathroom on the main floor that was never vented (must have been common back then).
Is this toilet having issues so you think you need to vent it?
Quote:
Venting correctly would mean alot of work routing the vent to the stack, not to mention my home has no attic access (1.5 storey 1940 construction). I don't want to use an AAV. Can I tie into the stack midway or does it have to be above all other rim levels?
You can tie into a properly sized vent stack above 42"
Quote:
Can I vent through the side of the home?
Depends on your local code

Quote:
Finally, what is the proper way to vent a toilet? An explanation or schematic would be helpful.
Try google- toilet venting

Quote:
I'm in Canada if that helps, but I encourage advice from all.
Hope this helps
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Is this toilet having issues so you think you need to vent it?
Yes. It will flush, but I will hear the shower trap slosh with water and the toilet tries to suck air behind it and burps. I should note this bathroom has been re-plumbed at some point with ABS piping and no vents added in.

Quote:
You can tie into a properly sized vent stack above 42"
I'm sorry but could you clarify this a bit. 42" above what, and is this the case even if there is another bathroom that ties into the stack on the upper level of the home?

Quote:
Try google- toilet venting
I'll try that.

Quote:
Hope this helps
It has.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by psilva8 View Post
I'm sorry but could you clarify this a bit. 42" above what, and is this the case even if there is another bathroom that ties into the stack on the upper level of the home?
horizontal vents should tie into vent stacks 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture. As a rule of thumb, 36" is the highest fixture(kitchen sink). Add 6" and now you're at the magic height of 42"

Advertisement

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote