Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

Vent requirement for shower

I would like to install a shower in my basement, and it would be located five feet from main 4" wet stack that vents through the roof.
There's a toilet placed a couple of feet away from the main stack and I hope to wye into the pipe that carries the toilet waste. (when I break up the concrete floor)
This an older building with cast iron soil pipes.
So, my question is, can I install the shower without a vent, as its only a five foot run to the stack.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:04 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I would like to install a shower in my basement, and it would be located five feet from main 4" wet stack that vents through the roof.
There's a toilet placed a couple of feet away from the main stack and I hope to wye into the pipe that carries the toilet waste. (when I break up the concrete floor)
This an older building with cast iron soil pipes.
So, my question is, can I install the shower without a vent, as its only a five foot run to the stack.
1st.... not sure if code even allows wet venting.....2nd you run the risk of having your trap seal pulled every time toilets are flushed without a vent....I would try to get a vent off that shower if at all possible..

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
1st.... not sure if code even allows wet venting.....2nd you run the risk of having your trap seal pulled every time toilets are flushed without a vent....I would try to get a vent off that shower if at all possible..
Thanks for your reply, Ben! If I were to vent the shower, I would have to use a mechanical vent. To vent it through the roof would require me to run through a bedroom on the main floor.
I wondered about running a vent line on the outside of the house, but winter temps here are below freezing for four months and I wonder if warm, moisture laden air would freeze inside the pipe and cause a blockage.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Ben! If I were to vent the shower, I would have to use a mechanical vent. To vent it through the roof would require me to run through a bedroom on the main floor.
I wondered about running a vent line on the outside of the house, but winter temps here are below freezing for four months and I wonder if warm, moisture laden air would freeze inside the pipe and cause a blockage.
I really think what you are going to do will work,,,but I have to keep in mind what i would do for my customer and the plumbing code in pa... so don't sweat it if you can't do it try it like you plan...maybe leave a vent in wall caped off..if it pulls trap seal then try auto vent,,????
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
I really think what you are going to do will work,,,but I have to keep in mind what i would do for my customer and the plumbing code in pa... so don't sweat it if you can't do it try it like you plan...maybe leave a vent in wall caped off..if it pulls trap seal then try auto vent,,????
Thats an excellent suggestion and thats exactly what I will do.
There's a floor drain in the same vacinity and I've never had a problem with its trap being pulled.
Thank you!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Thats an excellent suggestion and thats exactly what I will do.
There's a floor drain in the same vacinity and I've never had a problem with its trap being pulled.
Thank you!
good deal glad to help