Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Vent pipe in the way of wall-mount faucet

There was originally a double vanity here, I would like to convert it into a single vanity (with sink in the middle) with a wall-mount faucet and maybe a recessed medicine cabinet. But there is a vent pipe in the way (it's just a vent, no waste water goes down it because it's on the upper floor).

Is it OK to somehow make it go around the faucet and cabinet, or do I just have to work around it?
Attached Thumbnails
Vent pipe in the way of wall-mount faucet-dscf0604.jpg  

mtk369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #2

Yes you can use 90's to offset around your future items that will be installed in the wall, however you must install the tee fitting on the vent from the lower floor above the flood level rim of the fixture you are working on. It is currently installed correctly, just want to make sure you do not lower the TY fitting to accomodate the mirror or taps. The TY can be installed higher than the medicine cabinet, just not lower than the new countertop.
Make sure you re-install the metal strap protection on the studs to prevent screw penetration.

Dougtheplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:04 PM   #3

So this would be OK?
Attached Thumbnails
Vent pipe in the way of wall-mount faucet-dscf0604edit.jpg  
Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #4

Yes, this would be fine.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
Remodeler

I think you can do something like what is shown in the attached jpg. I don't know the codes well enough to know of any reason why this wouldn't be allowed, but maybe some of the licensed plumbers can chime in and vet the schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Vent pipe in the way of wall-mount faucet-dwv.jpg  
adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpanko View Post
I think you can do something like what is shown in the attached jpg. I don't know the codes well enough to know of any reason why this wouldn't be allowed, but maybe some of the licensed plumbers can chime in and vet the schematic.
i don't like this one b/c it has the horizontal section of vent below the flood level rim of the fixture. i'd probably do it like the op drew, however instead of 90's i'd use 45's so that the pipe is still considered vertical. less chance of a blockage in the vent if the drain plugs up down the road
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #7

If I would use 45 elbows to go around the faucet and no pipe would be completely horizontal, is it OK if the elbow is below the sink's flood level rim?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #8

Just use the 90's, it is acceptable to plumbing code.
This is piped with 90 elbows in millions of houses that have a kitchen sink on an outside wall, even more elbows if there is a window directly on top of the sink.
I am not saying the other post is wrong, just the possibility of a vent plugging is miniscule.
By looking at the pictures you do not have a cleanout on the base of the drain and I would be more concerned about that as those are code issues, at least where I am from.
Worst case scenario is you can use the vanity mirror as a access panel as it is usually only held in with screws, then you can put a cleanout at a higher elevation that is accessible through the mirror hole to clean out the vents, but then again as long as you know the vanity is there, you can cut in a cleanout if the problem should ever arise. In 30 years of doing this work I have never seen a vent plug in this situation.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #9

What is a cleanout and where is the base of the drain?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #10

The base of the drain is just below the double TY before it goes through the floor.
A cleanout is basically and Wye fitting with another screwed cleanout fitting glued into it. You can also get inline cleanouts that will suit your needs.
Your only issue with installing a cleanout is you will need to have access to it, which means an access panel or a false back underneath your basin. Not a big issue but more of a hassle.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #11

So basically I should have an access panel inside the vanity that uncovers a cap that I can screw off and clean the vent out with?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #12

You are correct about the access panel in the vanity, but this is for the drain. Don't concern yourself with cleanouts for the venting as they are only required in special circumstances and this is not one of them.
What I was meaning is that just in case, (which I am 99,9% sure of will never happen) your vent does plug up, the vent piping can be accessed through the removal of the medicine cabinet. Again, do not concern yourself with this issue, it is not in the code to have cleanouts on this venting system.