Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Vent Pipe In Wall?

This is a pic of the sink area....L shaped....there will be 2 sinks (same area that I asked a different question about 2 weeks ago)....the short pieces of pipe sticking up are about where the drains will go....

Left side.....no problem..it does straight down through the wall....other side....because there is a beam under there (a really big beam), I'll run the drain along the floor so that it's hidden by the kick plate area of the vanity....

Now....the vent....left side...not issue....non-load bearing wall...I can drill a hole up to 60% of the stud....but load bearing wall? 1 1/2" pipe? That is 50% of the stud.....

So....do I just run the vent pipe on the outside of the wall? So that it's hidden by the vanity?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #2

Vent Pipe In Wall?

My basic answer is whatever you can get to work. If you can use a vanity to hide a vent pipe then do it. I find many times venting is overrated. You could bump those drain pipes up to a two inch, then they will act as a vent, possibly. Hard to enlarge those type of holes. You could use those air admitance valves, they leak and go bad, but maybe not these days. See how quality goes up every year.. Ask a plumber, then a carpenter your questions. I am neither, but have done both for many years, possibly the wrong way.

paintdrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Vent Pipe In Wall?

This is why a lot of places require 2x6 walls wherever plumbing is involved.

You may have to just go straight up with the one in the load bearing wall if you don't want to route it through the cabinet.

Keep in mind that inside of the cabinet you will be below the flood rim of the vanity, so your piping will need to be on grade toward drain and use drainage fittings.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
JOATMON

Vent Pipe In Wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
This is why a lot of places require 2x6 walls wherever plumbing is involved.

You may have to just go straight up with the one in the load bearing wall if you don't want to route it through the cabinet.

Keep in mind that inside of the cabinet you will be below the flood rim of the vanity, so your piping will need to be on grade toward drain and use drainage fittings.
Oh....I should point out that this is the second floor.....

This is the view from below......the drain will need to come out of that floor about half way down this wall....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote