Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Vent Pipe in Attic Leaking - Advice

Hi all,

Last night I discovered water dripping into the bathtub from the ceiling above. I went into the attic and discovered that it appears to be the PVC drain pipe from the AC unit leaking where it connects to the iron vertical vent pipe. I put some of that putty stuff (the kind you kneed and put around the leak and it hardens) but it is still leaking. Before I tried that I turned off the AC hoping the water would stop dripping long enough for me to get the area dry but it never stopped - I gave it about 30 minutes. I just went up there and pealed off the pipe goop, because the water was running down the vent pipe (at least nowit is dripping into a shallow pan). Any advice? If I shut the AC down longer will the dripping stop and should I apply that bondo type putty again or should I take that plastic fitting off that attached to the vertical vent pipe and replace it? Any reason it would just start leaking all of a sudden? (understanding it might be the iron pipe is compromised) Any thoughts appreciated. It is about 130 degrees in the attic so I am typing probably with a touch of heat stroke Thanks!

Rick78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

is this a plumbing vent this is draining into?

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is this a plumbing vent this is draining into?
Yes, I believe so. It is that pipe that runs up through the roof of the house. Also, after I applied the pipe bonding putty, instead of dripping into the pan, it ran down the pipe and appears to have found a way out and onto the backyard patio. Once I cut the puddy off and put the drip pan back, no water on patio and no dripping in bathroom. I just bought something called "Rain-R-Shine" PVC cement. Maybe that might help.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

W T F ?

You can't do that. That condensate drain shouldn't be going into the sewer vent, it should be going out of the house.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
W T F ?

You can't do that. That condensate drain shouldn't be going into the sewer vent, it should be going out of the house.
If it isn't legit, it wouldn't be the first thing in this house I found that the previous owner did that wasn't legit. There is one drain that goes out to above the back porch (the backup drain?) my old AC guy told me that was the backup in case the main drain got blocked.....?????
Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #6
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

That ain't legit----PERIOD. You will need to re-route you A/C condensate drain out the home in some manner. As long as it seems to take for the water from the condensate drain to stop moving it sounds as if the drain is stopped up or is coated with scum. IF you can get to the drain pan at all, even a tiny little area, pour some Clorox (maybe 1/4 cup) into the drain pan followed by maybe a half-gallon of water. This should help remove the scum which will build up within the drain piping.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Last night I discovered water dripping into the bathtub from the ceiling above. I went into the attic and discovered that it appears to be the PVC drain pipe from the AC unit leaking where it connects to the iron vertical vent pipe...
Is that dripping coming from the sheet rock or a drain exit pipe in the ceiling. I mention this as I've heard of A/C back up drains over the bath tub to get the owner's attention that the main is plugged.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

A temporary fix (till it's done right) would be to get a piece rubber hose and clamp it in place. I would be looking to stop that water first (before it does more damage) then fix the drain right. I don't know how it is where you're at, but it's gotta be about 150 in my attic today
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:34 PM   #9

Update: it is not a vent pipe but a drain pipe. The clog is not in the horizontal PVC that runs from the AC unit to the drain pipe but somewhere I believe in the vertical pipe that runs from the attic to the ground trap, sewer or whatever. Once I patched the joint where the pvc meets the vertical pipe, the water then rerouted itself out the auxillary ac drain that drips over the patio ("to let you know there is something wrong") according to my AC man. I managed to wiggle the PVC off right where it meets the iron vertical drain pipe and water poured out (very cold I might say, considering it was about 120 degrees in the attic and it's a good 15 feet away from the actual AC unit). So, now the question on how to unclog that drain pipe.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

FYI....finally took the PVC fitting off where it connected to the iron drain pipe. Just sticking my finger into the iron pipe I could feel a clog at the top. Ran a cheapo snake down it and got some drain cleaner followed by hot water....so far so good. Will check in morning and throughout the day tomorrow. Thanks all for advice and commentary!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

thats a lot of gunk to block a house vent could effect the rest of the house...vut the line from the AC unit install a PVC union so you can acess the line to the vent and back to the unit.the reason it was put to the vent was the installer was to cheap or lazy to pop it outside as it should be...might consider it.you have the emergency drain off which is good now you need to see the unit drain off so you see the water running....bad combo house venting and water dripping down from the AC

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote