Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Share |

Vanity sink pop-up drain install?

My daughter called me from Connecticut last night. She had taken the afternoon off the have a new faucet installed on her bath vanity. The old faucet was leaking. The plumber supplied and installed a Peerless faucet.
After she paid the contract price and the plumber was leaving, she noticed he had not replaced the pop-up drain assembly and the new pop-up was in the box.

Her old pop-up was iron rust stained and was another reason she wanted the faucet replaced. She asked the plumber and was told the replacement of the pop-up was not included in the price and would cost an additional charge. She did not have the $$ so she let it go.

My question is- should not the replacement of the pop-up drain which was included in the faucet packaging, be part of the faucet replacement?

BTW, he left the new pop-up in the package with the old faucet for her to dispose of. I told her to hold on to it and I would replace it when I went North this summer.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #2

The plumber should have asked before he started, and for my business, it is usual to replace both. Yes, it does cost more. I certainly would not be inviting that one back.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
My daughter called me from Connecticut last night. She had taken the afternoon off the have a new faucet installed on her bath vanity. The old faucet was leaking. The plumber supplied and installed a Peerless faucet.
After she paid the contract price and the plumber was leaving, she noticed he had not replaced the pop-up drain assembly and the new pop-up was in the box.

Her old pop-up was iron rust stained and was another reason she wanted the faucet replaced. She asked the plumber and was told the replacement of the pop-up was not included in the price and would cost an additional charge. She did not have the $$ so she let it go.

My question is- should not the replacement of the pop-up drain which was included in the faucet packaging, be part of the faucet replacement?

BTW, he left the new pop-up in the package with the old faucet for her to dispose of. I told her to hold on to it and I would replace it when I went North this summer.
pop up always included in replacement of faucet.....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Here's a situation where I didn't install the popup :

Pedestal sink with a chrome p-trap behind it and solder bushing in the wall. I was doing several other things T&M so I explained to them that I would have to pull the pedestal off of the wall in order to replace the pop-up assembly.

They decided that it would push the bill up too high and they were talking about remodeling that bathroom anyway, so they opted to change only the faucet.

What I'm getting at is there must be more to the story, because he should have been able to install the faucet and drain assembly in under an hour.
ben's plumbing (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

Thanks to all that answered. Not a pedestal sink; wood vanity with cultured marble top and 4" spread faucet (standard condo builders model). Thought it should have been included but he wanted $80 more to replace the pop-up.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #6

I would have changed it. It's about a 10 min. job.
I've never once replaced a faucet and not changed the pop up, unless it was a pedistal sink.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (04-24-2012), rjniles (04-24-2012)