Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2009, 04:00 PM   #1
dtzulu

Share |

valve blow out

g'day forum,

ok, i noticed a leak under my bathroom sink. looking closer both the hot and cold water shut off valves were leaking. these are old valves, made from PVC i would guess. so i went to HD and brought new chrome angle multi-turn valves. i had to cut the connection from the water line feed coming from behind the wall to under the sink. i had no problems connecting the line up to the faucets, but had to use the Oatey All Purpose Cement to weld the connection into the new valve. i followed the directions and waited for about an hour before i turned back on the water. it held for about 30 minutes before i had a major blow out and a huge wet mess to clean up. i asked a friend about it (he's not a plumber but does contract home work) and he told me that if the pipe is not PVC but the other grey plastic pipe, i can't recall what he said the name was, but anyway he said that the all purpose cement would not work on that type of plastic pipe. he said i should maybe try the Oatey Purple Primer and then the cement and it might hold. any thoughts or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
valve blow out-im001748.jpg   valve blow out-im001749.jpg   valve blow out-im001750.jpg  

Last edited by dtzulu; 09-17-2009 at 07:26 AM.
dtzulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #2

valve blow out

are you sure the water lines are not PEX lines. If they are you cannot glue the fittings on.

paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

valve blow out

Post a pic so we may ID the type of pipe you have

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #4
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

valve blow out

Just get some compression angle stops and a couple of plastic ferrules and stiffeners. Could be you have CPVC, Qest, PEX or who knows what. Whatever you have, compression stops should work just fine
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
dtzulu

valve blow out

ok, i have posted pics of the pipe. i would hate to call in a plumber to replace simple valves, (not so simple it would seem!) but i'm at the point of just calling in the experts. but i really want to learn to do simple things like this on my own. call the experts for the really big jobs. thanks, dave.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
dtzulu

valve blow out

well, it seems that all i needed were the compression connections. once i switched to those, everything worked fine, and not a drip from the hot or cold water lines. thanks for the help JDC!! david.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #7

valve blow out

If those are grey plastic they are poly and you better have valves designed to go on poly pipe or you will come home to a flooded house one day.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
dtzulu

Unhappy

valve blow out

i used the compression type connections and so far it seems to be holding. when i tried the oakley all purpose cement that's when the connection blew loose. the guy at the plumbing supply store i went to said that for the type of pipe i have that the compression connections for the valves should hold.... now i'm worried
Old 09-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

valve blow out

As long as you used plastic ferrules you'll be fine.
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
Civil Engineer

valve blow out

That pipe looks like it might be polybutylene. There is a long history of trouble with polybutylene pipe and fittings, including lawsuits.

PEX stands for cross linked polyethylene, a totally different material than polybutylene, but I have never seen grey PEX (perhaps a plumber can chime in here, not saying it doesn't exist).

I have seen grey PVC (polyvinyl chloride) pipe, and grey CPVC (chlorinated polyvinyl chloride), and I do not know how to distinguish PVC or CPVS from polybutylene, unless of course the pipe is marked. Perhaps someone on this forum knows of a test.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #11
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

valve blow out

Man, I really hope that's not PVC electrical conduit. But it sure looks like it.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #12

valve blow out

Ifthat is grey polybutylene then using regular compression stops isn't the way to do it and will result in a leak at some point. is the pipe grey? is it flexible? if yes to both thats what you have. Oh when i say flexible i mean its not as stiff as regular pvc.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
dtzulu

Question

valve blow out

well, (finally tearing myself away from all the great football games today) what i can state is this... first, after two days, i still don't have any leaks of drips from the valve connections. second, that i highly doubt that it is electrical conduits, since nothing but H2O has ever come from that pipe, unless the contractor who did the plumbing when my house was built was really shady. and third, when i went back this morning to check for leaks, i can say that the pipe is not flexible but stiff. i was told that it was not PVC because if it was the Oakley All Purpose Cement would work, plus that was listed on the label as one of the types of pipe it would work on. so i surmise that it is PBV (Polybutylene), and the compression valves should do the trick. thanks, and if i'm amiss please let me know. but so far, so good. David J. Thompson... Land Surveyor, yes... Plumber, no.

Last edited by dtzulu; 09-19-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

valve blow out

It to me looks like PB polybutylene pipe. If you notice the cold valve is what I think is for PB. I agree with Plumber Jim get the right valve.

While you feel secure that in two days no leaks, just wait until you and your family are at moms for x-mas or something else and you come home to complete disaster. My advise is tow things 1. fix it right and 2. Have your insurance agent on speed dial

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
dtzulu

Unhappy

valve blow out

to PlumberJim,

from what you have posted, my pipes should be PVC, because it is stiff. if so, wouldn't the all purpose cement have held? i tried twice using that and both times the connection blew apart after about thirty minutes. however, when i switched to the compression connectors, everything held just fine... any thoughts on what i should try? note, as i said in my other post, it's been two days and there are not drips or leaks, but i don't want to come home from work and find my down stairs a squishy mess...