Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Before I close things back up in my kitchen remodel, I was considering dropping in a few pieces of pipe for a vacuum (probably some sort of small central vacuum).

On the internet there are many conflicting reports about what kind of pipe can be used. Many dealers say that you must not use regular schd 40 PVC, and you must use schd 20 that is special ordered. Others say they have professional licensed installers that have used all regular 2 inch schd 40 and it is not a problem at all.

So if you use wide sweeping turns in your schd 40, is it a problem to use it? or do you really have to get the special order schd 20 for some reason?

I was just hoping to toss a few pieces of it in the floor quick before I lay down my sturdy floor.

Thanks
Jamie

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #2

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Jamie,
I see vac installations on nearly every house I inspect. I can honestly say that I have never seen one done with schedule 40 PVC. I don't know the reason why, but they don't do it. They always...100% of the time...Use that white thinwall stuff. Maybe they call it schedule 20?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #3
Electrician

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Any big box store carries vaccum pipe, I would do a little more homework on your part and rough all the piping in before closing up the walls, I personnly like the Signature Vaccum system.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
DIY'er

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Jamie,
I see vac installations on nearly every house I inspect. I can honestly say that I have never seen one done with schedule 40 PVC. I don't know the reason why, but they don't do it. They always...100% of the time...Use that white thinwall stuff. Maybe they call it schedule 20?
Yes, that is what I have seen the vac sites refer to it as, schedule 20.

I have seen claims ranging from people saying that schedule 40 causes dangerous levels of static electricity to saying that schedule 40 has way too rough of a surface for air to travel through. Neither of which seemed very legitimate to me.

Thanks for the information. I will do some more searching and see if I can get a hold of some schedule 20. 40 is cheap and easy to get, so I thought if it worked the same, I would just use it. I hate to have to pay to have 20 shipped to me.

Jamie
Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #5
DIY'er

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Any big box store carries vaccum pipe, I would do a little more homework on your part and rough all the piping in before closing up the walls, I personnly like the Signature Vaccum system.
Thanks chris, I will have to go look some more, I haven't seen it. I asked some of the guy at a big box, but you know how that goes, half of the people that work there will tell you they don't sell light switches.

Jamie
Old 09-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #6
Electrician

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
Thanks chris, I will have to go look some more, I haven't seen it. I asked some of the guy at a big box, but you know how that goes, half of the people that work there will tell you they don't sell light switches.

Jamie

Heres the thing, You really need to rough in the outlet boxes not just the pipe, so do your research, find out what system you want, then by the outlet boxes and rough everything in, dont do it half ass.... also, figure out if your gonna use power heads or not, all this makes a big difference in your rough.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

I have both schedule 20 and 40 installed on my vacuum system.

My main unit is located out in my detached garage. This minimizes the sound level heard in the house when the unit is running.

I used the thin stuf in my house, and then transitioned over to the thick stuff for the underground journey out to the garage. This arrangement has worked well for the past 19 years.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Idiot Emeritus

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Whatever pipe you choose, it would be wise to make the 90's at the outlets in the walls short-turn, and use long-turn ones wherever it's covered. The reason being if a solid object can make it through a short-turn 90, it will also make it through a long-turn one.

If you use long-turn one at the outlets, and something barely makes it through, it'll likely jamb up in one of the 90's you can't get to.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
Electrician

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiedolan View Post
...I have seen claims ranging from people saying that schedule 40 causes dangerous levels of static electricity to saying that schedule 40 has way too rough of a surface for air to travel through. Neither of which seemed very legitimate to me.
Jamie
I would question "that schedule 40 has way too rough of a surface for air to travel through"...What is the interior wall?? Sandpaper?? Wonder why it works so well as a drain?? Does the water help smooth out the bumps so the crud slides through?? Ehh...don't think so.

I do believe the possibility of static build-up. Very easily done with small, dry particles rubbing on the inside of plastic pipe. Wood working dust vac systems call for a bare wire to be wrapped around their plastic pipes at certain intervals and bonded to the vac to reduce static build-up. Don't know why schd 20 works but 40 doesn't though.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #10

Vacuum Pipe Confusion

From what I understand there's no difference between the function of the 20 vs 40, it does not seem plausible to me that Sch40 would have more static than Sch20...if static is an issue, one can always ground the central line.

I agree withSD515, most all pvc that I've ever seen is smooth as glass so I'm not buying the arguement that sch40 is too rough....Sch40 is more readily available, and therefore generally cheaper. Central Vacuum has the reducers to convert sch20 to sch40, their prices for the inlets are competitive, and from doing business with them...I'd give them a thumbs up. As for the layout...MicroMind is right...use long turn ells where ever possible...and if you can locate the power unit in the basement or garage, that's better, and if you can vent the vac outside that's another bonus.

BTW -- Central Vacuum seemed quite knowledgable about all vacuums and if you want to mix and match between power units, they'll tell you that "X" power unit is good but their tools don't work so well, you'd be better off using "Y" accessory kit. Good people, quick service.