Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Utility sink and venting issues?

I bought a house a few months ago I've been working on renovating. I've come to an issue with. I need to figure out how to add a laundry sink in my basement beside the washer. After looking at existing conditions and doing some reading I think I have some venting issues at the very least.

Here is my existing setup.

It looks like the washer is wet vented, which I don't believe is correct. All the pipe is 1-1/2" copper, which I think use to be allowed but is now too small. I need to tie the new laundry sink in to the left of the washer standpipe. Any input on how to do this properly or problems that need to be fixed first?

Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 6

You'll need to drop a new line for the kitchen then re vent to the original VTR can not use a vent as drain. at least not that way.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

This house was built back in '65 so I guess there was no code to speak of then. As it is this system has worked fine for the past 50 years. Since the walls in the kitchen are closed and finished, which cabinetry in place I don't think I'm going to be ripping it all apart to fix it unless and actual problem makes in necessary. I may just have to avoid placing the utility tub in the mix for now. Any input of what kind of issues can arise from the current setup? Everything seems to drain fine with no slow flow, backing up, or sewer gasses. Like so many of the houses I've seen from that period, there just doesn't seem to be extensive venting the way it's done these days.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

so if your not going to rip into walls at this point.....why not remove standpipe install LT and drain wasker into it so you can still get your sink...ben sr...btw don't see any majors issues with what is there..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Thanks for the input.

I was considering dumping the washer into the tub. I was also thinking of tying the tub in just above the washer on the main pipe, using PVC and sleeved rubber couplings since copper is insane to buy right now. I'd also be adding an AAV on the sink line. Something like this.

Any input on this? I'm a floor guy with a fair bit of electrical experience as well, but not a plumber by any means.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

You know if you remove the stand pipe and drain the washer into the laundry tray As you drew above you would now be legal to code.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:00 AM   #7
Doer of Many Things

Yeah, I just didn't really want it draining into the sink but I may not have a choice. I looked at it again last night and took some careful measurements. The last drawing won't work anyway. The cast iron fittings boost the high too much to tie it in as drawn. The new pipe would be just a little too high for any drop off to be there. I was thinking now of putting them in line (sink>>AAV>>Standpipe) on a horizontal line then back into the stack where the current standpipe is now. That probably doesn't meet code either though.

If this won't work there isn't much else to do but hang the line in the sink. I'm out of ideas at this point that don't involve tearing into the finished kitchen.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by poppameth; 04-08-2013 at 06:00 AM.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #8

I would not suggest you use an AAV type vent with a washer direct connect though a stand pipe. A washer is a pumped waste and will cause the AAV to fail in short order. I suggest you just dump the washer into the laundry tray and make it all legal...

The second problem with what you have drawn is it is a circuit vent that is tying into a drain stack. You will need a relief vent prior to the stack tie in to meet code.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Doer of Many Things

Thanks again. I guess I'll just dump the washer into the sink then and keep it all code legal.
ben's plumbing (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
Thanks again. I guess I'll just dump the washer into the sink then and keep it all code legal.
Don't forget the AAV for the laundry tray...
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #11
Doer of Many Things

Yep I have it in hand. I'm just trying to figure out how to get some drop on such a short section of pipe now. I couldn't break the old copper fitting loose from the cast iron. Whatever they packed it with originally is so hard that a pipe wrench and a bottle jack under it could not break it lose. I'm just rounding off the fitting. So I just sweated an adapter onto it to attache the PVC. The original pipe is right into a straight cast iron tee though so no drop is currently there.