Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Oldie

Share |

utility sink pump

My question concerns a utility sink pump.
Would you recommend the direct style or the reservoir type?
Thanks. Senior

senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

utility sink pump

If you use a reservoir style, your local plumbing inspector may require the vent connection be connected to your house vent stack. I got away with a cheater valve at my last house, because I pleaded my case to the inspector that the vent run was impossible to run and meet code. He actually came out to the house to hear me out. He agreed, and signed off on the permit with a cheater valve in place.

I also have a wet bar at the new house, and I used a Hartell LTA direct mount pump on the sink. The pump has no vent connection, and the inspector approved it.

However with that being said, you will be getting a fair amount of lint and whatnot out of the washing machine. The Zoeller bucket job had a filter on the inlet to the bucket that I needed to clean out every now and then. Knowing that, I personally wouldn't use a direct mount on a laundry sink unless I had a pretty decent drain screen on the sink.

Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Oldie

utility sink pump

Thanks Aggie.
senior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #4

utility sink pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
If you use a reservoir style, your local plumbing inspector may require the vent connection be connected to your house vent stack. I got away with a cheater valve at my last house, because I pleaded my case to the inspector that the vent run was impossible to run and meet code. He actually came out to the house to hear me out. He agreed, and signed off on the permit with a cheater valve in place.

I also have a wet bar at the new house, and I used a Hartell LTA direct mount pump on the sink. The pump has no vent connection, and the inspector approved it.

However with that being said, you will be getting a fair amount of lint and whatnot out of the washing machine. The Zoeller bucket job had a filter on the inlet to the bucket that I needed to clean out every now and then. Knowing that, I personally wouldn't use a direct mount on a laundry sink unless I had a pretty decent drain screen on the sink.
How did you deal with the air needing to escape the tank when filling seeing as the AAV doesn't let air out?

Last edited by plumber Jim; 11-15-2009 at 06:45 PM.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

utility sink pump

It worked, that I'm sure of. I think he let me slide because the pump discharged into a p trap at the first sink location, and that had a vent on it.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #6

utility sink pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie67 View Post
It worked, that I'm sure of. I think he let me slide because the pump discharged into a p trap at the first sink location, and that had a vent on it.

so the pump discharge wasn't connected directly with the drainage piping? It had an air break or something?

As the water from the sink enters the tank were does the air it is displacing go?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

utility sink pump

I still know the family that bought the house. I'm a little intrigued myself now, so next time I'm over his house I'll take a photo of it. You are correct, that air has to have a route out of the bucket, otherwise it won't drain from the sink. I remember it taking an entire washer load of water no problem, but for the life of me I can't picture the piping.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #8

utility sink pump

Yea, either there is a leak in the tank lid or the pipe or connection to the AAV. Or it drains very slow like a water jug.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #9

utility sink pump

Oh, there is a way to pipe it that was engineered by Studor that may or may not be approved in your area that gives the air a way to escape. Its on their website.