DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Utility sink drain pipe question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jabergess 
#1 ·
I want to install a utility sink that is in my garage in the basement (walk out). The main problem I have is although the previous owners had water lines put into the garage, I can't determine what the 2" pipe next to the water lines is. I had a plumber come today thinking it would be an easy determination. We ran all of the water all over the house, but nothing came down the pipe. He said he would need to cut the pipe and run a camera down to make sure it attaches to the septic and isn't a vent line. The cost to do that and install the sink (if the line indeed is a drain) would be $1500! I'm a fairly handy woman that has no problem doing my own plumbing work so I feel that if this is a drain line I can do this work.

I'm attaching a picture of the water lines and the pipe. If this pipe is a vent pipe would it actually go into the ground? I feel like this pipe was probably run specifically for this sink when the house was built, but how do I verify this without spending $500 to scope?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd like to say it is a drain but it really should be scoped. Short of doing that, cut the pipe, stick a hose down it and run water for several minutes. If it drains ok I would pipe the sink in. Thats me though.
I am required to plumb the vents and water during the rough of a house even though its specified as unfinished space. Looks like thats what they've done in your case too

#4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks very much for everyone's advice! I cut the pipe and ran water down the pipe with a hose for quite awhile before I determined it was probably not a vent! The sink is now hooked up at the grand total cost of $101.53. Sure beats the $1500 quote! Plus I added a line for my beer equipment so I'm sure it would have been even more than the quoted price. I love having the sink, it saves lots of time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.