Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Utility Sink drain?

I want to put a utility sink in our basement next to the washer/dryer where the table currently is....

Currently there is a cast iron drain (3" i think) sticking up vertical about 3' from the concrete floor that the washing machine drain hose goes into....open top, about 4 feet away from the main stack.

...can I snap the CI w/ a cutter and tie in my utility sink drain/washing machine to that w/ a Fernco-type fitting and a T or Wye....or is there a better (more-professional) way?

If thats the way to go - other than getting the slope from the drain correct, is there any limitation to how much CI needs to be sticking out of the floor?

Thanks,

Doug

Last edited by redline9k; 01-18-2011 at 11:02 AM.
redline9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Utility Sink drain?

I would use a fernco type clamp fitting, then a PVC sanitary T, have the arm go to the trap for the sink. Then extend the pvc up and use an air admittance valve to get the proper venting.
Have your washing machine drain into the utility tub.

Leave as much cast iron as possible.

I'm also curious as to where the trap is on your current setup: Worth figuring out.

michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

Utility Sink drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcherr View Post
I'm also curious as to where the trap is on your current setup: Worth figuring out.
my thoughts exactly...there has to be one...no smell whatsoever from the open CI.

As far as venting...there is a rim joist at the top of the ceiling...would a side vent outside be better than AAC? The main stack is 5' away, but there is a 4 way (2 tubs/sinks) right at ceiling height so im not sure about tying into that...
Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Utility Sink drain?

That is a standpipe for your washing machine. After it drops through the floor it will connect to the trap. Looks like the concrete was patched. Is there a floor drain under washing machine? If not, i would run washing machine drain to utility sink and either install a studor vent (air admittance valve) or just cut the standpipe down and treat it as a floor drain and indirect waste the sink into it.
plumbcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Utility Sink drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbcrazy
That is a standpipe for your washing machine. After it drops through the floor it will connect to the trap. Looks like the concrete was patched. Is there a floor drain under washing machine? If not, i would run washing machine drain to utility sink and either install a studor vent (air admittance valve) or just cut the standpipe down and treat it as a floor drain and indirect waste the sink into it.
Maybe I'm not understanding you, but you cannot drain a sink into a floor drain.
Well I guess you could, but it's more work and not to code.

As far as the vent: AAV's are code accepted in most places.
Tying back to the main stack would be the best, but since it's Cast Iron, it's not even close to worth the hassle in my opinion.
If the main stack is only 5' away you might not even need the AAV.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #6

Utility Sink drain?

Main stack is 3' CI and 5' PVC. The stack is pretty much centered in the middle of the laundry room, so any vent to it would have to be near the ceiling (to preserve head-room).

My concern is that at the top of the ceiling is a 4 way-T for the 1st floor bathrooms....not much room to stick in a vent.

yes, there is a floor drain, about 2' infront and to the left of the washing machine, but simply draining to the floor seems a little trailer-tech.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Utility Sink drain?

I am assuming that you have a p-trap under the slab, so I would be hesitant to put in another trap and a studor or AAV. If that was my basement, I would cut in a tee in that riser coming up through the slab and leave the washer draining in the top of that pipe.

Last edited by broox; 01-18-2011 at 08:49 PM.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Utility Sink drain?

Redline9K, a couple of other things I noticed. You'll want to put water hammer arrestors on the washer lines (unless I've missed them) and you'll want to change your corregated dryer vent line to a smooth metal one. No screws, foil tape only.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:04 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Utility Sink drain?

Yeah, and fold those towels!!
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #10

Utility Sink drain?

Thanks guys for your help. I ended up talking to the local county building code inspector since it seems that St Louis is a little backwards in plumbing code and what flys here might be ridiculous elsewhere.

I know a drain vented to the roof would be best, and the ptrap for the washing machine *should* be above ground...

but...

its St Louis...so in this case, the open-vented washing machine standpipe with ptrap in the ground is par for the course. On top of that, cutting in a sanitary T for a utility sink drain (no ptrap) and leaving it open-vented is also code, so long as the utility sink is no more than 30" away from the standpipe.

(Ive got WH arrestors just above the pic ...dryer vent coming next, and ill get the wifey on those towels)

Thanks again for your help...now i know how backwards StL plumbing code is.

Last edited by redline9k; 01-19-2011 at 10:10 AM.