Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Share |

Using a power washer with well water

I need to power wash my vinyl siding, large deck, and a pole barn that is going to require at least a 150 ft of hose. Any suggestions on the psi/gpm washer I should buy and best suited for well water?

Cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #2

As long as your well water doesn't have a bunch of sediments in it, the power washer won't know the difference. If it does have sediments, it can packup the screen and cause the pump to cavitate/lose pressure.

Personally I use a gas powered 2400psi model that I've had for years. It does every thing I need, washing decks, siding, concrete, etc.

Two suggestions. Get an adjustable nozzle, even if it has to be purchased separately from the washer you choose. Twisting the nozzle to get the right spread is a lot more convenient than having to change to a different nozzle. You can also set one at degrees that the individual nozzles won't offer you. The right nozzle spread and distance from the surface is how you clean quickly without damaging the surface.

2nd, I would get garden hoses larger than 1/2 inch if you are going to be connecting 150-200 feet of it. 5/8 is good, 3/4 is better. Always flush your hose out before connecting it to the power washer.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
Cityboy (05-19-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Check the output at the end of your hose to see what GPM you are getting there, and do not buy a pressure washer that demands more than your well can deliver. You do not want the PW pump to cavitate.

From my experience, I would not buy anything less than 3000 PSI, 2.5 to 3 GPM.

That being said, you have to be careful once you get over that pressure, especially with wood, as you can destroy it.

You are going to need a minimum 50 ft. High pressure hose. The 25 footer provided with most low end washers just does not cut it.

As far as washing down your vinyl siding, I used TSP and Bleach in warm water to pre-soak my siding and it really cleaned up nicely. You can buy some good house washes online too. Check Amazon.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Cityboy (05-19-2013)