DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Use of coupling fitting on gas pipe

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  majakdragon 
#1 ·
I want to connect a 12"x3/4" galvanized pipe to a coupling, then a 90 degree elbow then a 24" pipe between an exiting gas meter and an existing length of pipe that goes to a stove.

Is it permissable/advisable to use a regular galvanized coupler on a gas pipe system? I am using special (yellow) gas pipe tape on the threads. Are there any other special requirements?

Aloha from Hawaii

#3 ·
I want to connect a 12"x3/4" galvanized pipe to a coupling, then a 90 degree elbow then a 24" pipe between an exiting gas meter and an existing length of pipe that goes to a stove.

Is it permissable/advisable to use a regular galvanized coupler on a gas pipe system? I am using special (yellow) gas pipe tape on the threads. Are there any other special requirements?

Aloha from Hawaii
Gas lines should be black iron according to code. Any moisture will combine with the sulfur in the gas to form sulfuric acid which will atack the zinc on the galvanized pipe. I guess it depends on the inspector though, because I have seen galvanized pass inspection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.