Urine Smell In Bathroom Even After Cleaning! - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Urine smell in bathroom even after cleaning!

Please Help. I have an upstairs bathroom shared by my 11-year old twins. There is a constant strong urine smell that comes from the bathroom. It's often so strong, you can smell it when ascending the stairs. Initially I thought there was an aim problem, but I've quarantined the bathroom and the strong smell doesn't occur in my other bathrooms. I constantly clean and scrub with bleach and disinfectant. When smelling the toilet, sink, drain,... I cannot seem to find the origin of the odor. When I've quarantined the bathroom after cleansing, the order does subside. The bathroom is tiled. Home built in 1992 and it has not been updated. The house is a foreclosure and was purchased 4 years ago. The smell began about 3-4 months ago. There is a vent, but no window. There is one sink, a toilet and bathtub with a shower.

Advertisement

Please help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Could be a failed wax ring and urine is sitting between the bowl and the tile.

Either that or you missed a spot.

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

First guess would be a leaking wax ring.
Pull the toilet and see if it's gone on long enough to leak under the tiles.
Loose tiles, moves when you push on them, all bad signs.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #4

I just pulled on the toilet and the bottom seemed pretty sturdy. None of the tiles around the side felt loose when I pushed on them. The grout looked decent in some areas (the sides). Improvement is needed in others (some brownish areas). The toilet bowl (top part) was pretty shaky. When lifting the bowl top the water smelled fresh. I also checked behind the toilet and the back tile area was wet. I mopped with soap and bleach earlier today, but I think that should have dried by now. I dried it and will check the area later. Any other suggestions. Thanks so far everyone. I will edit my profile. I joined today.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

if they missed enough times it could be laying between the tank and the top of the bowl where you can't really get to it to clean it.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please help View Post
I just pulled on the toilet and the bottom seemed pretty sturdy. None of the tiles around the side felt loose when I pushed on them. The grout looked decent in some areas (the sides). Improvement is needed in others (some brownish areas). The toilet bowl (top part) was pretty shaky. When lifting the bowl top the water smelled fresh. I also checked behind the toilet and the back tile area was wet. I mopped with soap and bleach earlier today, but I think that should have dried by now. I dried it and will check the area later. Any other suggestions. Thanks so far everyone. I will edit my profile. I joined today.

So, you didn't actually unbolt the toilet from the floor and remove it? Wax rings can leak for a number of reasons. Sometimes they don't get installed properly Sometimes, extreme plunging can distort the wax ring and cause it to leak. When cleaning the toilet, are you making sure to get up under the rim of the bowl? Even then, it's possible the outlet holes in the rim have bacteria buildup and contributing to the odor. After pulling the toilet up and checking the wax ring, make sure to install a new on. You'll need to install a new wax ring before putting the toilet back in place. They''re only a couple dollars.

If the distance between the top of the toilet drain flange and the top of the tile is greater than 3/8", you may need to install an extra-thick wax ring or stack two of the smaller rings.

As for disinfecting the holes under the rim, pour a cup of bleach in the tank, then flush the toilet. Do this a few times. (somebody's bound to comment about how bleach is bad for the flapper, but doing this a few times won't cause any problems).

Last edited by Seattle2k; 04-12-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #7

Lol. "Pull the toilet" to me meant pulling on it not unbolting the entire unit. I am cleaning under the rim and all parts I can reach constantly and I try to over cleanse it due to the smell. I will try bleach in the tank starting today. I will also have the wax ring replaced and thoroughly clean the area once the entire unit is removed. Again thanks everyone. I'm hopeful it's the wax ring!!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 260

When I redid our bathroom many years ago my wife jokingly suggested a urinal for me and our three boys. I jokingly replied we didn't need a urinal we have a shower. (She didn't find that as funny as I thought). Anyway, are the boys possibly using the tub/shower to help "reduce" your cleaning?
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

I've replaced dozens and dozens of bathroom floors caused by leaking wax rings, broken flanges, loose closit bolts, wrong ring used.
Time and time again I hear the same excuse, I could not afford a plumber to change the ring.
A new ring is less then $5.00 and is a DIY 101 job to change. How much do you think having to remove and replace a whole bathroom floor cost?

FIY the thing on the back of the toilet that stores the water is called a tank.
What you sit on is called the bowl.
If that tank was loose the donut gasket between the tank and the bowl can leak.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #10

http://www.fluidmaster.com//water-le...ple-areas.html
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

You cant overlook the fact that the people that were foreclosed on were probably pissed off, so they pissed on, if you get my drift.

Are you sure its not in the carpet outside the bathroom?

I still cant believe what the lending institutions and real estate moguls did and were for the most part allowed to get away with it. They basically ruined the economy and walked away from it. Now it is starting all over again.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

hi Please help –

Just a newbie myself but I’ve replaced several rings, including my own recently. This is definitely a DIY job – if you want to. I don’t think it was mentioned but I think it is recommended NOT to do any kind of caulking or sealing where the toilet bowl meets the floor.

I think some people like to do that because they feel they don’t want water going under the bowl when they wash their bathroom floor. But any kind of seal can mask a leak under the bowl. That’s how I knew I had a leak, water was coming out from under the bowl onto the floor tile.

I pulled up the toilet and sure enough the wax ring had deteriorated and was leaking. Easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Please help View Post
...I also checked behind the toilet and the back tile area was wet. ...

I had water just at one side of the toilet also. When I looked at the failed wax ring I saw why: it had deteriorated in such a way that the water would leak out towards one direction.

Good luck!
agoodboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 268

Just a thought! Some time back I almost bought a foreclosure that had strong animal urine smell, really bad. The Realtor told me to splash some bleach around and seal the floor.

Come to find out that is the wrong thing to do. Once you have eliminated any mechanical issues and still have trouble. Google enzymes fro urine odor removal.

Here's one to start with.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_remove_urine_odor Jim
jjrbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 PM   #14
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

A UV fluorescent light is also handy for finding spots.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
jagans (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,000

grout on the tile floor is soaked with urine ?

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote