"up-flush" Toilets - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

"up-flush" toilets


I have built a bedroom and home theater in my basement. Out of sheer convenience (arguably laziness) I would like to put a bathroom in next. I only have an unused sump hole in the basement. I have done a cursory investigation into my options and I know I can do one of two things. I can spend thousands and countless man-hours putting in a grinder system which means cutting another hole into the concrete floor, etc. Then the plumbing, etc. Or...I can get an up-flush (aka anti gravity flush) toilet. The cost of those seems to be all over the place which may mean either a quality concern or maybe there is something that is needed that may not come with some of them. I've seen them advertised as low as $300 (which scares me) and as high as $2,800 which is well out of reach for me financially. Has anyone here ever purchased one of these? If so, 1) how well do they really work? 2) Why are the prices so widely spread? I do know that for this "instant toilet" (as I call it) I need 3 things. 1. Fresh water supply, 2. Electricity for the grinder (I'm an electrician), and 3. A drain pipe going to the main line out. The latter being easy in my case. Thanks!

Advertisement

RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Doing it myself
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Crescent City, CA
Posts: 3,762
Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Check out these : I've installed 3 of them now, but haven't had to work on one yet. They seem like a pretty cool setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YRDRP2/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You need to check into specifics for your situation to make sure that particular model will work for you. The manufacturer may be able to help with that.

I haven't really heard great things about the "anti gravity toilets" IE : Saniflow and the other stuff that's out there.

It's always a problem when you've got electricity evacuating your waste. When the power goes out, you have no way to get it out, but i'm assuming the rest of your house is on gravity.

Advertisement

__________________
Journeyman Plumber
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 75
Default

"up-flush" toilets


I am installing a Sani-Pro system right now. It was around $775 with the special elongated bowl toilet. I have a vanity and a shower running to it too. No concrete busting=win.
dwcopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
I am installing a Sani-Pro system right now. It was around $775 with the special elongated bowl toilet. I have a vanity and a shower running to it too. No concrete busting=win.
Got a link to check that out? $775 is within my finances. I can do all of the work.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
Check out these : I've installed 3 of them now, but haven't had to work on one yet. They seem like a pretty cool setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YRDRP2/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You need to check into specifics for your situation to make sure that particular model will work for you. The manufacturer may be able to help with that.

I haven't really heard great things about the "anti gravity toilets" IE : Saniflow and the other stuff that's out there.

It's always a problem when you've got electricity evacuating your waste. When the power goes out, you have no way to get it out, but i'm assuming the rest of your house is on gravity.
Yup, the rest is all gravity. Where I live we get about 2-3 major t-storms per summer that knock out our power for 4 hours minimum (16 hours was the record). I keep 2 gallons of water on-hand in storage for defication emergencies during those times. Had to use one once in 11 years.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 75
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Got a link to check that out? $775 is within my finances. I can do all of the work.
http://menards.com/main/bath/toilets...487-c-9936.htm look up the toilets too
dwcopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Is there a kit that includes everything needed, or do you have to buy it all separately?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 828
Rewards Points: 594
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
To add to dwcopple's macerating pump toilet info, here's a video from "This Old House" that explains how to install one:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...332410,00.html

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 75
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Is there a kit that includes everything needed, or do you have to buy it all separately?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
you buy the pump, the toilet bowl, and the toilet tank separately. Impossible to not get the right stuff. Each box lists the compatible part no.s. I got the elongated bowl and it took 2 days for Menards to order it. They stock the round bowl only at the store. I just got it on sale for 10% off. Saved me about $80 on all three pieces!!!
dwcopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
you buy the pump, the toilet bowl, and the toilet tank separately. Impossible to not get the right stuff. Each box lists the compatible part no.s. I got the elongated bowl and it took 2 days for Menards to order it. They stock the round bowl only at the store. I just got it on sale for 10% off. Saved me about $80 on all three pieces!!!
Does Lowe's carry stuff like that, or do you have to go to a plumbing supply house?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 25
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
you buy the pump, the toilet bowl, and the toilet tank separately. Impossible to not get the right stuff. Each box lists the compatible part no.s. I got the elongated bowl and it took 2 days for Menards to order it. They stock the round bowl only at the store. I just got it on sale for 10% off. Saved me about $80 on all three pieces!!!
Does Lowe's carry it, or do you have to go to a plumbing supply store?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 98
Rewards Points: 75
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Menards is exclusive for big box stores. You need to go to there website, they have a locator
dwcopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 299
Rewards Points: 278
Default

"up-flush" toilets


you local plumbing supply shop would definitely be a better resource, would know what to order, and in a lot of cases is much cheaper for specialty items

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS1985 View Post
Does Lowe's carry it, or do you have to go to a plumbing supply store?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,122
Rewards Points: 552
Default

"up-flush" toilets


i have used the liberty mercerator toilet "instant toilet" with great success
http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/?c=21

also all the box stores can order them not sure on brands

and you will also need to run a vent to out side or to existing plumbing vent for pump to work and a air admittance valve "cheater vent" will not work
__________________
"be careful at listening to just one persons advise" said me
"be careful at listening to just one persons advise" said myself
p.s. not all i say is a fact but not all i say is my opinion.
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 309
Rewards Points: 250
Default

"up-flush" toilets


Do they have anything like this where the pump thing gets hidden behind a wall?

That is one weird looking contraption, I would rather hide it and even build a false wall if I had to.

Advertisement

oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
toilets clogged erb Plumbing 8 08-17-2010 10:44 PM
Mansfield Toilets? kcrossley2 Plumbing 9 08-23-2009 06:08 PM
Talking Toilets! ScottR Off Topic 4 08-11-2009 06:36 AM
comercial toilets Fordguy1956 Plumbing 1 01-31-2009 09:23 AM
All three toilets suddenly leaking clueless88 Plumbing 6 07-21-2008 07:07 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts