DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   "up-flush" toilets (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/up-flush-toilets-141467/)

RonS1985 04-25-2012 11:13 AM

"up-flush" toilets
 
I have built a bedroom and home theater in my basement. Out of sheer convenience (arguably laziness) I would like to put a bathroom in next. I only have an unused sump hole in the basement. I have done a cursory investigation into my options and I know I can do one of two things. I can spend thousands and countless man-hours putting in a grinder system which means cutting another hole into the concrete floor, etc. Then the plumbing, etc. Or...I can get an up-flush (aka anti gravity flush) toilet. The cost of those seems to be all over the place which may mean either a quality concern or maybe there is something that is needed that may not come with some of them. I've seen them advertised as low as $300 (which scares me) and as high as $2,800 which is well out of reach for me financially. Has anyone here ever purchased one of these? If so, 1) how well do they really work? 2) Why are the prices so widely spread? I do know that for this "instant toilet" (as I call it) I need 3 things. 1. Fresh water supply, 2. Electricity for the grinder (I'm an electrician), and 3. A drain pipe going to the main line out. The latter being easy in my case. Thanks!

Alan 04-25-2012 09:42 PM

Check out these : I've installed 3 of them now, but haven't had to work on one yet. They seem like a pretty cool setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YRDRP2/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You need to check into specifics for your situation to make sure that particular model will work for you. The manufacturer may be able to help with that.

I haven't really heard great things about the "anti gravity toilets" IE : Saniflow and the other stuff that's out there.

It's always a problem when you've got electricity evacuating your waste. When the power goes out, you have no way to get it out, but i'm assuming the rest of your house is on gravity.

dwcopple 04-26-2012 08:49 AM

I am installing a Sani-Pro system right now. It was around $775 with the special elongated bowl toilet. I have a vanity and a shower running to it too. No concrete busting=win.

RonS1985 04-26-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcopple
I am installing a Sani-Pro system right now. It was around $775 with the special elongated bowl toilet. I have a vanity and a shower running to it too. No concrete busting=win.

Got a link to check that out? $775 is within my finances. I can do all of the work.

RonS1985 04-26-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan
Check out these : I've installed 3 of them now, but haven't had to work on one yet. They seem like a pretty cool setup.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002YRDRP2/...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

You need to check into specifics for your situation to make sure that particular model will work for you. The manufacturer may be able to help with that.

I haven't really heard great things about the "anti gravity toilets" IE : Saniflow and the other stuff that's out there.

It's always a problem when you've got electricity evacuating your waste. When the power goes out, you have no way to get it out, but i'm assuming the rest of your house is on gravity.

Yup, the rest is all gravity. Where I live we get about 2-3 major t-storms per summer that knock out our power for 4 hours minimum (16 hours was the record). I keep 2 gallons of water on-hand in storage for defication emergencies during those times. Had to use one once in 11 years.

dwcopple 04-26-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonS1985 (Post 907988)
Got a link to check that out? $775 is within my finances. I can do all of the work.

http://menards.com/main/bath/toilets...487-c-9936.htm look up the toilets too

RonS1985 04-26-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcopple

Is there a kit that includes everything needed, or do you have to buy it all separately?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

Homerepairguy 04-26-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcopple (Post 908042)

To add to dwcopple's macerating pump toilet info, here's a video from "This Old House" that explains how to install one:

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...332410,00.html

HRG

dwcopple 04-26-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonS1985 (Post 908049)
Is there a kit that includes everything needed, or do you have to buy it all separately?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

you buy the pump, the toilet bowl, and the toilet tank separately. Impossible to not get the right stuff. Each box lists the compatible part no.s. I got the elongated bowl and it took 2 days for Menards to order it. They stock the round bowl only at the store. I just got it on sale for 10% off. Saved me about $80 on all three pieces!!!

RonS1985 04-26-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcopple
you buy the pump, the toilet bowl, and the toilet tank separately. Impossible to not get the right stuff. Each box lists the compatible part no.s. I got the elongated bowl and it took 2 days for Menards to order it. They stock the round bowl only at the store. I just got it on sale for 10% off. Saved me about $80 on all three pieces!!!

Does Lowe's carry stuff like that, or do you have to go to a plumbing supply house?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

RonS1985 04-26-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcopple
you buy the pump, the toilet bowl, and the toilet tank separately. Impossible to not get the right stuff. Each box lists the compatible part no.s. I got the elongated bowl and it took 2 days for Menards to order it. They stock the round bowl only at the store. I just got it on sale for 10% off. Saved me about $80 on all three pieces!!!

Does Lowe's carry it, or do you have to go to a plumbing supply store?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum

dwcopple 04-27-2012 06:12 AM

Menards is exclusive for big box stores. You need to go to there website, they have a locator

jcrack_corn 04-27-2012 01:42 PM

you local plumbing supply shop would definitely be a better resource, would know what to order, and in a lot of cases is much cheaper for specialty items

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonS1985 (Post 908268)
Does Lowe's carry it, or do you have to go to a plumbing supply store?

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum


jaydevries 04-27-2012 05:40 PM

i have used the liberty mercerator toilet "instant toilet" with great success
http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/?c=21

also all the box stores can order them not sure on brands

and you will also need to run a vent to out side or to existing plumbing vent for pump to work and a air admittance valve "cheater vent" will not work

oldhouseguy 04-27-2012 07:10 PM

Do they have anything like this where the pump thing gets hidden behind a wall?

That is one weird looking contraption, I would rather hide it and even build a false wall if I had to.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved