Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |

Up to code in Virginia?

I am hopeful I can add a utility sink into my laundry room. But I would like to know if this drain would be up to code before I even start the actual planning and permitting process.

I am very limited with space and only really have this one option to try and drain a tub. Everything in the drawing with solid lines is already in place and I am assuming up to code since we had no issue with the home inspection when we bought the home.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf scan0003.pdf (11.8 KB, 41 views)

nova2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #2

Up to code in Virginia?

Are you keeping the 2" washer drain?

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #3

Up to code in Virginia?

I am not planning on changing anything that is currently in place, except for adding the tee onto the vent pipe.

To add some more information.
The elbow at the bottom of the vent centered at 14" off of the concrete. The tee on the vent for the washer is 24" off of the concrete. So I am figuring that my only option is to squeeze a tee between the tee and the elbow. And drain the sink below the washer drain. If a vent is needed can I put one from the horizontal for the sink drain and run it back to the vent pipe above the tee from the washer? If so how much higher would that need to be?

I heard of another option, but cannot find anything that would suggest this is okay.
I was told one option could be putting a check valve on the horizontal for the sink drain. This would theoretically keep all of the water draining from the washer from backing up the sink drain pipe, and keep all sewer gas on the vent side of the drain.

Also putting the sink on the opposite side is not an option due to a built in cabinet.

Last edited by nova2006; 08-17-2010 at 04:01 PM.
nova2006 is offline   Reply With Quote