Unusual Washing Machine Drain Hose Hook-up - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Unusual washing machine drain hose hook-up

A neighbor of mine has a washing machine drain line hook-up that is unlike anything I've ever seen. There is a "T" shaped PVC fitting at the wall that I'll call a "gizmo" for now. The bottom leg of the T is hard plumbed into the wall drain pipe (in other words it is a threaded fitting screwed onto the drain wall pipe. One of the top T legs has the drain hose from the washing machine clamped onto it with a hose clamp. The other top T leg is kind of like a one way air check valve that will let air in when the washer is draining but is supposed to shut if water doesn't flow down drain pipe quick enough (four small holes with a rubber seal on the back side). The problem is the seal is not sealing completely and the gizmo is leaking. Does anyone know what this is called and/or where I could purchase a new one? Also, we tried eliminating the gizmo and just hooking the drain line into the wall drain pipe but it overflowed right away when the washer went into it's drain cycle. The leak from the gizmo is minor compared to when we eliminated it. I'll attach a couple of pics of the gizmo. Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated. Tried to attach pics but just wouldn't upload properly.

Advertisement

Last edited by gnguru; 04-27-2011 at 08:23 PM.
gnguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:08 PM   #2

Sounds like it is just a vent valve. I can't think of the actual name but I bought some and never put them on yet. They are so you don't have to use a vent stack I think is what the package said. They were around 5 bucks at menards.

Advertisement

Thunder219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I have no idea what that type of T you're describing is, but the best bet is to install a proper drain set-up.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

To me, it sounds like the drain line is stopped up. Replacing all of that stuff might not help. I cleared three laundry lines in the last two weeks. A washing machine dumps alot of water, so the drain line has to be clear to take all that water. Maybe snaking it before replacing anything would be prudent.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,044

It is improper to clamp the washing machine hose onto the drain pipe. This can shorten the life of the washing machine (wear out the drain pump) and can also allow siphoning of waste water back into the machine after it shuts off.

The standpipe (vertical riser where the washing machine hose is placed) needs to be higher than the top of the tub inside the machine. The entire washing machine drain pipe must be 2 inches or fatter.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #6
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,054

its called a siphon brake, it prevents the washer from siphoning all the water out of the tub. The only time we ever use these is if the washer drain hose is extended and the drain hose run into a floor drain rather than a stand pipe
Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 AM   #7

BINGO - And we have a winner!! It's hardwareman and he hit the nail right on the head other than a slight mispelling. It's a siphon break not a siphon brake and I found an exact replica of the part (gizmo - LOL) at Amazon.com ApplianceZone. Why they installed this, I don't know because it is a regular washing machine wall drain 35 inches from the floor and the laundry room is adjacent to a half bath and it has a vent pipe to above the roof and the washing machine drain hose is standard length. We'll get a new gizmo and see if that solves the leaking problem. Thanks to everyone for your input and especially to hardwareman. Next time you're in California the drinks are on us... Cheers
Old 04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
#1 HAWKEYE FAN

Rewards Points: 1,054

if the drain line is going into a standpipe, then why not just eliminate the siphon break??
Old 04-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareman View Post
if the drain line is going into a standpipe, then why not just eliminate the siphon break??
We tried that and when the washer started it's drain cycle water leaked out all over the place. We don't think the pipe is plugged because when the water goes thru the siphon break, it works fine other than the minimal leaking from the air vent in the siphon break. New siphon break is in route. We'll keep you posted. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement