Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

Unremovable Toilet Seat, Please Help!

This toilet seat is in shambles, but I've already broken 3 flat head screw drivers (stanley ones, not 99 cent store ones) trying to remove it. There is no nut threaded onto the screws from the bottom, in fact, no screw sticks out anywhere. The bottom of the screw is inside the porcelain, and the water tank extends below the whole setup if that makes sense. I've tried soaking in WD40 numerous times, and still can't budge either one.

Here are pictures for clarification

as you can see from the 2nd pic, my fingers are where the screw would stick out, and be held by a nut in a normal toilet seat, but all I feel there is porcelain.

Please help, I really need to replace this toilet seat! It's long overdue for replacement

Oliver126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 PM   #2

i actually called kohler about this a few years back. they told me that brute force might be needed to remove it. i used an impact driver to remove it, and prayed the porcelain did not break it finally broke free, and i had to trim the new bolts (plastic) before i installed the new one. good luck i'll never do it again

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Picky Plumber

I've yet to find a one piece toilet that I like. Especially the older ones. Everything about them is a giant pain. The impact driver sounds like a good plan. If the porcelain breaks it may be a blessing. Then you can replace what's under the seat..... the toilet! Good luck.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:10 AM   #4

lol, I'd rather not replace the kohler if i can avoid it.

Looks like I'll be headed out for an impact driver in the near future.

the_man, did you do the replacement w/ any normal toilet seat, or did you have to purchase a toilet seat w/ kohler installation hardware?
Old 12-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver126 View Post
This toilet seat is in shambles, but I've already broken 3 flat head screw drivers (stanley ones, not 99 cent store ones) trying to remove it. There is no nut threaded onto the screws from the bottom, in fact, no screw sticks out anywhere. The bottom of the screw is inside the porcelain, and the water tank extends below the whole setup if that makes sense. I've tried soaking in WD40 numerous times, and still can't budge either one.
Since toilet seat is no good anyway, maybe try this:

- Use a small chisel to remove the hold-down for the toilet seat from under the two screws. This will expose the threads.
- Forget the WD40.
- Go to an automotive store and buy a penetrating oil.
- Apply the penetrating oil directly to the screw threads where they go into the imbeded nut.
- Gently tap on the screw head many times and let it sit over night.
- Try to remove the screws.
- Repeat until the screws break free ..... or you give up.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
And Still Learning

Oliver, I've got one word. "PB Blaster". Better than oil. It is a catalyst. Smells bad but beats all else for unlocking stubborn nuts and bolts. Did you use the large screw driver?

Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver126 View Post
the_man, did you do the replacement w/ any normal toilet seat, or did you have to purchase a toilet seat w/ kohler installation hardware?
seems like it was a seat a customer bought, probably just a generic HD seat, but i'm not 100% sure. i do remember trimming the bolts very carefully. i threaded the nuts onto the bolts, cut the bolts w/ a hacksaw, then backed the nuts off to clean up the threads. you'll need to compare the old bolts to the new ones to make sure they'll thread in
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #8

Someone put that seat on with steel nuts and bolts and they rusted in. I would grind off the heads with an angle grinder. It would take only a few minutes. Lacking that tool you could cut off the heads with a hacksaw blade but that would take a while and it might be worth getting an angle grinder which is a great tool to own. Lift off the seat and squirt oil between the porcelain and the now headless bolt and gently tap the bolt down and out with a center punch. Replace with any new toilet seat and use the plastic nuts and bolts that come with it.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zircon View Post
Someone put that seat on with steel nuts and bolts and they rusted in. I would grind off the heads with an angle grinder. It would take only a few minutes. Lacking that tool you could cut off the heads with a hacksaw blade but that would take a while and it might be worth getting an angle grinder which is a great tool to own. Lift off the seat and squirt oil between the porcelain and the now headless bolt and gently tap the bolt down and out with a center punch. Replace with any new toilet seat and use the plastic nuts and bolts that come with it.
the bolts don't come out the bottom, they're concealed in porcelain
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #10

Any toilet I have seen has holes all the way through to bolt on the seat. I think someone used a small nut almost the same diameter as the porcelain hole and when the screw was tightened it drew the nut up into the body of the fixture and jammed there so that is why I suggested driving it out from the top.
zircon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Jack of all - master none

+1 vote for trying the impact driver.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #12

Break the plastic around the bolt heads and try with a pair of vise grips and a screw driver. You could also drive a cold chisel perpendicular into the head to turn the bolt.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #13

OK, so using an impact drill worked...

Just one problem, the hardware inside the porcelain that the hinge bolt threaded onto... well, its destroyed

Am I **** out of luck in finding a way to bolt on a new seat?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #14

how about some of that epoxy putty they sell at HD? mash some of it up, jam it in the hole, then shove the bolt in afterwards. It'll never come out again, but considering the toilet, that might not be a bad thing
Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM   #15

Looks like I'll have to give that a shot, what type of epoxy putty am I looking for in particular?